Ubuntu Question - How To Reinstall Wireless Drivers?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jeffc, Nov 1, 2008.

1. jeffc

jeffc

For an Acer Aspire one?

I was using modprobe I believe.. and one day all wireless options were gone.

How do i get them back?

Please cut-paste the procedure..

The Aspireone Ubuntu faq has 2+ wireless adapters listed and its gotten very unorganized.

Any help would be appreciated..
    thanks

jeffc, Nov 1, 2008
  2. jeffc

ruckus

jeffc (weird, my name is jeffc in RL),

After an update changes your kernal, you need to recompile the wireless drivers for the new kernal. Fret not, it is easy. I have pasted the steps below. To accomplish this task, you will need to plug your aspire one directly into a network to allow you to download the drivers.

Code:
    WIRELESS:

There are two different ways of configuring the wifi hardware, using either madwifi drivers, or wrapping Windows drivers with ndiswrapper. If you have troubles with one method, try the other.

madwifi

Now we need to disable the hardware drivers that Ubuntu tries to use before the ones we make will function. So go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers and uncheck everything. It should prompt us to reboot, so lets do it now.

We need to grab the wireless driver, and the things we need to build it, from a terminal:

mkdir source
    cd source
    wget [url]http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz[/url]
    tar -xzvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

And we build and install:

make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe ath_pci

ruckus, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question