Ubuntu, or not ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c7aig, Dec 8, 2008.

1. c7aig

c7aig

iv been reading though the following link about how to install ubuntu on the aspire one:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... pire%20One

I dont think any of that is above my skill set but im wondering if its worth the effort putting ubuntu on... the only real goal that im looking for out of it would be for a bluetooth adaptor to work with my netbook and connect to my phone for the internet (like on my other notebook with ubuntu)

has anyone done this successfully and found it to work well?

c7aig, Dec 8, 2008
  2. c7aig

samguyjones

I used these image instructions for the netbook remix. It took very little time, and I was almost immediately happy with the setup. The interface is better than Linpus (and I think Linpus if fine), and I've been able to do most anything that I've gotten working on 8.04 Ubuntu. Here's the stuff that worked in Linpus that doesn't work in Ubuntu:

• The boot time is longer (50 seconds to full function as opposed to 15 seconds to startup, 30 seconds to network and SD on Linpus)[/*:m:u6jtg07c]
    • The right SD card doesn't work.[/*:m:u6jtg07c]
    • The WiFi LED and off switch doesn't work.[/*:m:u6jtg07c]
    • I think the internal MIC doesn't work.[/*:m:u6jtg07c]

People more ambitious than me have fixed these problems, and I'm currently waiting to see if these fixes will become easier to implement. If you're willing to live with those problems, the install is a breeze. If not, it's doable but not easy.

As for bluetooth tethering to cell phones, I haven't done that, but there's a separate discussion where people have covered that.

samguyjones, Dec 8, 2008
  3. c7aig

c7aig

I think i could live with those problems, did you have an issue with the fan control?

c7aig, Dec 9, 2008
  4. c7aig

bloomdido

I would recommend Xubuntu 8.10 + the custom kernel debs from this thread (well, if you install Ubuntu I think the first thing to do is install those debs anyway regardless of Ubuntu flavour):

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7560

loads fast, suspend works OK (sound issues are gone) so I don't turn it off - just close the lid - everything is just fine. I replaced Gnumeric and Abiword with OpenOffice from repositories. Fan control is OK.

bloomdido, Dec 9, 2008
  5. c7aig

samguyjones

I could be dense and oblivious to a fan sound that other people would find horrific. I haven't noticed any fan problems either with my various foolings with Linpus nor with my UBR install.

samguyjones, Dec 10, 2008
  6. c7aig

c7aig

i was not worried with the noise of the fan, just as long as it is on and working is just fine!

c7aig, Dec 10, 2008
  7. c7aig

lotus49

I would absolutely say it is.

The problem with Linpus is that it is held together with sticky tape and string. If you make any material changes to it you run the risk of updates failing or undoing your changes or worse.

Ubuntu has two very big advantages. It is based on Debian so uses apt for package management which makes installing new software or keeping your current software up-to-date very very easy. It is also a very popular distro so there are excellent resources should you encounter any problems.

I am running fairly standard Intrepid on mine and everything works except:
    1. wifi light (I'd prefer if it did but this really isn't a big deal)
    2. suspend (I would definitely like this to work)
    3. hibernate (fairly pointless as it takes so long to hibernate that you may as well shutdown)

There are ways of fixing 1 (madwifi) and 2 (custom kernel) so it is possible to get almost everything working. I think some people also have hibernate working but as I said, this isn't very useful.

Ubuntu FTW.

lotus49, Dec 11, 2008
  8. c7aig

the100thmonkey

I'm not sure, but I think the latest Ubuntu kernel I'm running - 2.6.26-7 generic - works with the wifi out the box. I ran a system update the other day which replaced the previous kernel, and fully expected to have to recompile the MadWifi drivers, but didn't - Ubuntu just connected to my wireless network without a hitch.

I've also had no problem with the fan whatsoever - in fact my AAO has made my old laptop (a Sotek 12.1" Celeron jobbie from Japan) look and sound like a rhino. So much so that I ripped the laptop apart and am thinking about doing something with the display, which is the only 'nice' thing about it...

I've found that with 8.10, Compiz is a bit laggy with screen rendering in general, particularly scrolling. I don't know if this has been resolved - I turned it off so I could run the Netbook Remix interface, which I think is great and has gotten more comments from people watching me use it than the pretty cube ever did. Go figure...

Sound issues are the biggest problem for me, as I want to use the internal mic on the One to record classroom interactions (I'm a language teacher). It's areal pain in the arse, but I put up with it because Ubuntu is just so much better than Linpus, which I hate.

I understand from another thread on this board that the new kernel (2.6.28-rc7) gets everything working.

Ubuntu FTW

the100thmonkey, Dec 11, 2008
  9. c7aig

axcairns

We REALLY need to clean up one or both of the wiki pages and include sickboy's 2.6.28rc7 kernel as this simplifies the setup while fixing ALL hardware issues.

axcairns, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question