Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Has anyone tried using Ubuntu Netbook Remix yet?
    It looks interesting, more or less a version of Ubuntu optimized for lower specs and the Atom CPU (there's actually a config for Diamondville based computers only). Currently it hasn't been officially released, but you can enhance a regular Ubuntu install with certain packages (under Availability section at bottom of page). Also, as long as you don't install the Diamondville config it is supposed to work on other x86 platforms as well. The Dell E is supposed to use this so hopefully in August there will be an official release so it would be simpler to install.

http://www.canonical.com/netbooks

Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008
  2. Wolfgang

fsantos

I'm using it and it's great.
    The package with the config for Atom CPU was withdrawn of launchpad by presenting problems in xserver-xorg.
    But the interface is well designed.

You should see this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=165&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

fsantos, Jul 26, 2008
  3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Thanks for the link, so without the config is it just regular Ubuntu with extra packages right now?

Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Wolfgang

fsantos

Yes, and Canonical said that they will not release any iso with it, it's just for OME.

fsantos, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Wolfgang

ind

I've tried it on xUbuntu and it didn't work very well. It makes the wallpaper interactive similar to linpus, but it doesn't function properly.

ind, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Wolfgang

fsantos

I don't use xubuntu since 6.06, but there is any composite like compiz or other?
    If there is one just shut it down.

fsantos, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Wolfgang

dandesigns

i've uploaded a video on youtube last week. EDIT:

dandesigns, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Wolfgang

Guest Guest

The video has nothing to do with Ubuntu Remix, I dont understand the link here.

Guest, Jul 27, 2008
  9. Wolfgang

dandesigns

OOps.. sorry. wrong link. That's not my video. here's the correct link:

dandesigns, Jul 27, 2008
  10. Wolfgang

tenko

Keep waiting for the iso with all the goodies from ubuntu/gnome/debian.

tenko, Jul 28, 2008
  11. Wolfgang

jesada

Am only using the Maximus bit, but really love that!

jesada, Jul 28, 2008
  12. Wolfgang

zk2008

Is the boot time for the Netbook remix the same as for regular Ubuntu?

zk2008, Jul 29, 2008
  13. Wolfgang

rscutaru

yes it is, not only that it seems a bit slower when using the "netbook remix part"

it's only a skin on top of regular ubuntu, don't see the advantage of it at all

rscutaru, Jul 29, 2008
  14. Wolfgang

lotus49

There is more to it than that. There is also a kernel compiled especially for the Atom.

Whether that actually makes much difference in practice, I don't know.

lotus49, Jul 30, 2008
  15. Wolfgang

diogosousa

I've successfully installed Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix. It think it lacks on configuration options. It would be usefull to add/remove shortcuts to the right sidebar.
    Besides that, it's a pleasent experience!

diogosousa, Jul 31, 2008
  16. Wolfgang

glibdud

Are you sure the kernel is currently available? I just browsed the packages in the NR repository, and it just looks like a handful of applications.

glibdud, Jul 31, 2008
  17. Wolfgang

fsantos

The package with the specifications for atom was removed from the pack, it had problems.

fsantos, Jul 31, 2008
  18. Wolfgang

tjs

With some effort it could be possible to create somewhat "Atom optimized" Ubuntu-Mobile/Netbook install image with Moblin image creator. Has anybody experimented with this yet?

Moblin image creator targets MID devices and it has pre-defined configurations for creating Ubuntu-Mobile install images for Intel Menlow and McCaslin platforms. Menlow is Atom Z5nn series with chipset not compatible with 9xx so the kernel is not compatible with Aspire One. However McCaslin might be good starting point as a basis for Aspire One. Even though McCaslin is pre-Atom processor the kernel they have build should be configured with mobile devices in mind (should be optimized for low power consumption and fast boot time).

The filesystem image build with moblin image creator is either bootable "live" USB stick image or HD-installable USB stick image.

Both pre-defined targets (Menlow and McCaslin) will create an image that contains only a subset of Ubuntu packages fetched from Ubuntu-Mobile repo and Moblin repo. The subset of packages should be selected in order to optimize for mobile devices, not for desktop PCs. The resulting image has Ubuntu MID edition user interface so these packages should be replaced with Netbook Remix UI packages. The set of pre-installed packages that ends up in the install image is of course configurable. Besides different selection of packages, they also have some modified packages in the moblin apt repo. For example there is a version of Grub boot loader with a patch that should enable fast-resume from disk, taking only half the time it takes normally. According to this Linpus used some of this stuff in Linpus Linux Lite for Aspire One.

tjs, Jul 31, 2008
  19. Wolfgang

diogosousa

I just posted a video of my "One" running ubuntu-netbook-remix on youtube. Check it out:
    I really must say, it gets kind of slow sometimes. I'm doing the memory upgrade very soon!

diogosousa, Aug 4, 2008
  20. Wolfgang

dandesigns

have you disabled visual effects? it looks a little slow than my netbook test run.

dandesigns, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question