Ubuntu Netbook Remix for eee working OOB on AAO

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by enzobelmont, Sep 29, 2008.

1. enzobelmont

deslock

Assuming the network manager icon appears, can you click on it and use "Manual configuration..." to create the new connection? Also, if the network manager doesn't show any of your school's WAPs, try entering the command
    Code:
    iwlist scanning

deslock, Oct 3, 2008
  2. enzobelmont

donec

What does OOB stand for?

donec, Oct 3, 2008
  3. enzobelmont

daldred

Out of the Box.

Conventional (if not really very accurate for downloaded software) way of saying it just works when installed without painful amounts of configuration.

daldred, Oct 3, 2008
  4. enzobelmont

Guest Guest

I have also loaded ubuntu eeepc remix and here are what I have found:
    1. WiFi works fine
    2. expansion card works fine
    3. Ethernet connection does not work, it is not even in the device list.
    4. Hibernation does not work.
    5. Internal microphone does not work with skype
    6. Webcam works with skype.
    6. Overall it looks nice.

Guest, Oct 3, 2008
  5. enzobelmont

donec

Thanks Daldred, that make sense with hind sight. :D

donec, Oct 4, 2008
  6. enzobelmont

brad0022

I have an install prob. I downloaded and used unetbootin-eeeubuntu-windows-238.exe on a Vista machine. I installed it on a Seagate 5gb USB drive. Thats all I have available right now. I have One Ubuntu boot on a USB thumb drive so I dont want to overwrite that.

Booting from an Seagate 5 gb USB drive. On boot a message says:
    "BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)_"

I am a Linux noob so I would like some help on this. Did I not make the boot correctly? What do I do from here?

brad0022, Oct 4, 2008
  7. enzobelmont

brad0022

nevermind. I just overwrote the one ubuntu boot thumb drive and it is working now.

brad0022, Oct 4, 2008
  8. enzobelmont

Dan Daemon

Hello guys,

So, after Linpus, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy, WinXP, WinVista, I have installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my AAO 110 with Samsung SSD...

After installation I was very impressed with loading speed, of course it's not Linpus, but though much faster than WinXP and WinVista.

After installation I got worked without any troubles:
    1. WiFi;
    2. Webcam;
    3. First SD slot;

But got not worked:
    1. Microphone;
    2. Second SD slot;
    3. WiFi LED.

WiFi LED issue and second SD slot issue was fixed very fast.

But as I can see after installation ubuntu works on ext3 partition in relatime mode...
    Should I change it to ext2 and noatime to make my SSD much faster?
    If so, why Ausu EEE users did not change it?

Thanks,
    Dan Daemon

Dan Daemon, Oct 4, 2008
  9. enzobelmont

Guest Guest

So is this worth bothering with ?

Guest, Oct 4, 2008
  10. enzobelmont

deslock

Not sure about the partition question... performance seems OK to me so I haven't bothered messing with that.

Does sound work for you after resuming from standby? I tried the steps at http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=28177 and that simply resulted in my Network Manager not working after standby (but undoing the scripts in that thread got the Network Manager working again after standby). Note that sound does work for me after resuming from hibernation.

Also, what did you do for the wifi LED? (pardon the lazy question... I'm sure it's a simple fix but I haven't researched it)

Lastly, what was the problem with your 2nd SD slot and what did you do to fix it? Both of mine work (since patching the system with the Update Manager)

Strange as both Ethernet and hibernate work fine for me (I have a 512MB RAM 8GB SSD model). Does sound work for you after resuming from standby?

For posterity, I'll post whatever wasn't working and what I did to fix it in this thread (see my previous post for mounting USB flash drives).

deslock, Oct 4, 2008
  11. enzobelmont

ncmp

I was thinking of getting this but the only thing that put me off is what I read on the ubuntu help page thing, that the fan doesn't work with that ubuntu eee on AA1, which could potentially mean that my lil lappy could fry. Also about the constant read/write to the SSD "which will eventually result in SSD failure", that scared me to the end of the world...so I'll leave a full permanent install until later, I will however try the live version and this other ubuntu thats been created for the AA1 cant remember the name but its still not available for download yet.

ncmp, Oct 4, 2008
  12. enzobelmont

Dan Daemon

Hello guys,

to fix WiFi LED easy just do a following steps:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
    then find the line:
    Code:
    dev.wifi.ledpin=1
    and replace "1" to "3"... WiFi LED will blink when you surf...
    or replace "1" to "-3"... WiFi LED will light all time...

Secondary SD slot works only after rebooting... I'm searching some ways to fix it.

Another problem with acer fan, any methods I prevoiusly use does not work right now :(

and about SSD speed, I read that ext3 partition much slower that ext2 partition, and also they recommend to use "noatime" mode instead of "reltime".

Dan Daemon, Oct 4, 2008
  13. enzobelmont

brad0022

After installing and using it for two days. I have to say that its worth installing. I like it a lot. I have used One Linux for a while and it was nice. Then got aggravating when I wanted to customize it and install new apps. I like the layout of this version.

brad0022, Oct 5, 2008
  14. enzobelmont

deslock

So is sound working for you guys after resuming from Suspend?

BTW, I tried an external monitor (1280x1024). Resolutions up to 1024x768 were listed, but it cuts off the bottom of the screen for anything above 800x600.

I too have the problem of the 2nd SD slot only working if a card is in it when I boot up.

As far as the wifi light goes, for me 3 sets it to blink but -3 doesn't do anything. Also, my sysctl.conf file has an extra 0 in the line:
    Code:
    dev.wifi0.ledpin=1

deslock, Oct 6, 2008
  15. enzobelmont

enzobelmont

please read post 3 from page 2 of this thread. :)

wifi0 = first wifi interface on your machine; in this case atheros one.

you should delete cdrom line from /etc/fstab file to be able to use usb mass storage devices.

saludos

enzobelmont, Oct 6, 2008
  16. enzobelmont

Dan Daemon

Yes I did... but nothing... very interesting why?!

Dan Daemon, Oct 6, 2008
  17. enzobelmont

Guest Guest

While I was installing the OS i did not have the ethernet cable connected to it. After the restart wifi was fine and whatever I did I could not get the ethernet work. Sound worked after resuming from standby. BTW. I did not have a swap disk.

Guest, Oct 6, 2008
  18. enzobelmont

deslock

Well I feel sheepish... I dunno how I missed that. However, setting it to -3 still doesn't turn on the LED for me.

Yeah, I also mentioned this in my post on Page 2 :p of the thread. That fixed mounting USB devices but not mounting SD cards in the 2nd slot.

Interesting... do you have the 512MB/8GB SSD model? If it's not too much trouble, can you post whatever you've configured on your machine and how? I'm stumped and perhaps something else you changed happened to allow for sound to work after suspend (I've tried the steps at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894541 but to no avail).

Any help is appreciated.

deslock, Oct 6, 2008
  19. enzobelmont

Dan Daemon

It's very interesting for me to understand what is the best chooise?

1. Original Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy

or

2. Ubuntu eee netbook remix?

What do you think guys?

Dan Daemon, Oct 6, 2008
  20. enzobelmont

dirk

The 'best' choice is for a plain install of Ubuntu that supports all the hardware in the One. That does not exist at the moment though, so I'd recommend the Ubuntu-eee variant as it makes the One quite usable; more so than a vanilla Ubuntu install.

I prefer linux to windows, but at least windows does tend to work on any hardware; SD card readers that dont work unless booted with a card in? That's either some shockingly bad hardware (can it be replaced) or some crap software drivers. I assume the SD card readers work perfect in windows?

Here's hoping for a Ubuntu-netbook distribution that fully supports the AspireOne, MSI Wind, eee, etc. but that would be too useful to exist, right? :)

dirk, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question