Ubuntu Moblin Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by csmo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. csmo

csmo

A few days ago Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) announced they are going to integrate the Moblin v2 interface into a new Ubuntu based version; 'Ubuntu Moblin Remix'.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canoical-com ... ntu-moblin

What do you think? I love the idea and hope the best, but although I do enjoy using Ubuntu I'm somehow afraid they will make this Ubuntu Moblin Remix as bloated as their normal OS instead of cutting down support for anything but Intel's Atom processors. Hopefully, I'm wrong and we'll see a neat and speedy little OS that will kick some serious, erm, behind. :)

csmo, Jun 4, 2009
  2. csmo

c-m

very interested in trying this when it comes out

c-m, Aug 23, 2009
  3. csmo

jamied

I tried installing this but after converting the live cd to bootable use image I could not get the installer to run :(

jamied, Sep 27, 2009
  4. csmo

finnbakk

I have the Moblin 2 (alfa) instaled on a USB stick, and have tried it on my AAO 110.
    Very interesting GUI, maybe it says something about how the future desktop will look. But who knows! :D
    Everything seem to work oob, and the boot time is VERY fast.
    But Moblin on the stage it is today works far much slower on the AAO than running f.ex. some Ubuntu derivate from the USB stick.
    Also Suse are making their own version of Moblin, Goblin, http://www.wafaa.eu/index.php?/archives/195-Project-Goblin-openSUSE-And-Moblin.html

Until a working version is up, I'll stick to UNR, which i at the moment have installed. I have tried a lot of distros on this AAO, but UNR is so far for me the best compromise between a rational GUI and speed.

finnbakk, Sep 27, 2009
  5. csmo

caulktel

I have tried Moblin, but am currently using UNR. Its very usable but just eats my battery up. I'm not sure why they can't get the power thing right. Hope this gets addressed soon.

caulktel, Sep 28, 2009
  6. csmo

qlue

This looks interesting! I'm gonna try Moblin v2.1 in the mean time. Although I'm already very happy with UNR. ;)

qlue, Sep 28, 2009
  7. csmo

finnbakk

I downloaded the Ubuntu-Moblin-Remix and wrote the .img file to a stick. But the image doesn't contain a bootable system, and at booting the only option is automatic installation. So I didn't try it.
    I also downloaded the Moblin 2.1 developer live image http://mirrors.kernel.org/moblin/releases/test/images/moblin-2.1-preview-20090924-001.img. It seems to work a bit faster than v. 2.0 did. Looks like everything except sound works OOB. The user interface is nice and exciting. Boot time is awesome, but the system is to slow when run from the USB stick on my AA0 with only 512 MB RAM.

finnbakk, Sep 29, 2009
  8. csmo

2manydjs

I tried 2.1 yesterday booted from an USB stick and sound (flash video) was working for me without a problem. The overall speed was pretty good (1GB memory). I didn't like the "magic bar" in the webbrowser: it didn't disappear. The Ubuntu Moblin Remix had the same webbrowser and the magicbar did disappear as expected, so should be easily fixed. I really got annoyed by the mousover graphics. Instead of just lighting up or expanding slightly, the animation shows a bouncy effect. I'm not sure if this can be disabled easily, but it should! Lastly there wasn't a spreadsheet application available in the Garage (Abiword was available), I hope they include one soon.

All in all I was very impressed with the system, I think this has the potential to be very successful with the masses!

(it even seems that Moblin got the blessing of Microsoft: http://ostatic.com/blog/is-there-more-t ... lin-stance )

2manydjs, Sep 30, 2009
  9. csmo

finnbakk

At second boot the sound worked. v.2.1 seems smoother than 2.0. Very fast configuration of mail client, in my case Gmail IMAP settings. After a whie the system froze when playing music vid at Youtube. Only 512 MB RAM here.
    The Ubuntu Moblin remix doesn't seem to have an option for running live from UDB stick. Is that correct?

finnbakk, Sep 30, 2009
  10. csmo

Andysan

If you download Ubuntu Moblin Remix 9.10 from here you can get a daily build that boots into live mode.

Canonical have added a lot of functionality from the standard desktop build making Moblin pretty useful. Unfortunately, the WiFi doesnt appear to work on my AAO D150, but I appreciate its in its early days. Anybody got a fix please?

Andysan, Oct 18, 2009
  11. csmo

pc01111

im interested in giving this a whirl, does UMR support multiple user accounts?

pc01111, Nov 2, 2009
  12. csmo

Andysan

I could be wrong (well it wouldnt be the firs time ;) ) but I think the underlying OS is still Ubuntu, its just the desktop environment thats changed. So, yes. :D

Andysan, Nov 5, 2009
Ask a Question