Ubuntu Linux being installed on Windows 10 shortly

Discussion in 'Linux' started by headset85, Apr 1, 2016.

1. headset85

headset85

Hello there,

Today I just learnt that Microsoft is buying Canonical and wondered about the future of this GNU/Linux distro. It seems that both companies have reached an agreement to cooperate in developing new products.

Here is an article published on Forbes about this news:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianb...untu-linux-to-run-on-windows-10/#7f9f6fe76ad7

The partnership's first step consists in installing Ubuntu on Windows 10...

What's your opinion on this issue?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    headset85, Apr 1, 2016
  2. headset85

SirJoe

I read the same thing, I was in shock. I honestly thought that it would never happen. Microsoft has done some strange things lately, hey offered windows 10 and now this. I wounder what is going on.

SirJoe, Apr 1, 2016
    headset85 likes this.
  3. headset85

Fermin420

Yea this doesn't seem right, I'm not a big fan of conspiracies but this is obviously part of a bigger plan. I read the performance is pretty much identical, they tried it with Sysbench tool though. To me all they are trying to do is blend windows and GNU Linux, still calling it windows and selling it as such, avoiding open source licenses.

Fermin420, Apr 1, 2016
  4. headset85

fcuco

There is a lot of confusion right now because, and that's why I hate the April's fool thing stupidity, the rumors of Microsoft buying Canonical started with some fake April's fool articles. Canonical will remain independent, they are simply entering a partnership with Microsoft to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10, Ubuntu will basically run alongside Windows 10 and the main audience for this are going to be developers. If you want to read some serious journalism piece about this please refer to the article at the ZDNet magazine by Steven Vaughan. Also use this opportunity to expose any stupid "journalists" that are using the April's fool day as an excuse to create click bait trash.

fcuco, Apr 2, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. headset85

SirJoe

The things they didn't even sell the last version of windows, if you had a earlier version you could simply upgrade for free. This for me was a shock, Microsoft giving away a operating system!?
    I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a conspiracy but it certainly is strange.

SirJoe, Apr 2, 2016
  6. headset85

c3300

It seems that buying out and shutting down Cannonical was the April Fools joke from Fossbytes (about as funny as Gmail's if you ask me). Ubuntu running in Windows was apparently demo'ed in March, which makes me think they are catching up with something Puppy's been doing when it runs in memory for years. It still doesn't take away the underlying problems of a Windows 10 install, and rather than making windows more secure I would be concerned that it would compromise Linux.

The upgrade to 10 appears to be forced simply so they don't have to support so many OS's, although I'd have to say I wonder if the increased and not preventable (unless you're using Enterprise and don't mind losing Windows Update - here) calls to home providing MS with data might be another drive.

c3300, Apr 2, 2016
  7. headset85

nytegeek

It's a non-issue. You have fallen for a April Fool's Day prank, and not a very good one at that. I might add that Forbes isn't very good when it comes to any level of accuracy in technology reporting to begin with.

nytegeek, Apr 3, 2016
  8. headset85

UpgradeMe

The idea that Windows could buy a massively open source project should have given it away as an April fools joke. After a fair bit of reading, it's pretty obvious to me that this operating system is fully out of the control of any one company or individual, and any attempt to control it would just be met with a new copy of it in a different form.

UpgradeMe, Apr 3, 2016
  9. headset85

SirJoe

Well it was done in bad taste because they were talking about it on the 29 of March and not on the 1 of April. If there idea was to catch people of guard they certainly did that, but why wait so long, why didn't they just choose a random day of the year and do the joke then.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

SirJoe, Apr 4, 2016
  10. headset85

c3300

Careful. As I pointed out, Ubuntu running on Windows is apparently real, and demo'ed on 29th March. It has very limited integration.

Microsoft buying Cannonical and destroying Ubuntu is apparently false, started on fossbytes on 1st April as an April Fools (click here for their gif of the new loading screen, reading "April Fools"), and in extremely bad taste. I do wonder how much trouble it has caused for Cannonical, since the rumour that they are being bought and Ubuntu shut down keeps popping up ever since, and the people who started it aren't exactly retracting it.

c3300, Apr 4, 2016
  11. headset85

fcuco

It is worse than that, it is basically lazy journalism meets click bait since April's fools day gives them an excuse to act silly and put up very dumb content, the problem is that most people will never realize that the thing was a joke and that's how FUD begins to spread just like when people share The Onion articles as if they were true. We deserve better from journalists, I mean, you can't put all the blame on them since people have to at least pay attention to what they read and research a little before believing anything but still, they have a big responsibility and should act accordingly.

fcuco, Apr 4, 2016
  12. headset85

SirJoe

I agree to the extent that a site like Forbes should be more careful. The onion is what it is, it's prime objective is to bring in people whether the article is true or not is irrelevant. The more gripping the tittle the better.

SirJoe, Apr 6, 2016
  13. headset85

fcuco

Yeah, but the onion is clearly satire, it used to be very clever satire and it actually was able to drive a point using it, satire is an interesting technique and can be both clever and insightful, I was talking more about this otherwise serious news outlets that decide to go crazy on April's fools day and publish outrageous pieces. Since people rarely read beyond the headline of a news piece they miss the part where they clarify that the thing was a joke and FUD gets spread. You know how it works, people see an outrageous headline on Facebook and share it without even reading the news piece.

fcuco, Apr 7, 2016
  14. headset85

SirJoe

I guess people are flooded with information they don't make the time to read the full article. This will blow over by the end of the month. There will always be something else that will grab their attention and they will forget this ever was published.

SirJoe, Apr 10, 2016
  15. headset85

fcuco

You are probably right, yet I can't help but feel that stuff like this starts creating a sediment of ideas in people's minds like the sand at the bottom of a river, so they get this vague notion that canonical is now part of microsoft even if they don't remember anymore where or when they heard the news because they completely forgot the actual news piece and even the fact that it was a joke of some kind.

I guess that what I dislike the most is that they don't do those pieces as satire or trying to hide an important message buried inside the apparent nonsense of the humor because this is what really good satire is all about, it is simply crappy click bait that is not even funny.

fcuco, Apr 10, 2016
  16. headset85

nytegeek

Your misunderstanding of this whole thing astounds me. I'm not even sure where to start. <head desk>

nytegeek, Apr 11, 2016
  17. headset85

c3300

Ok. What's the problem?

Linux under Windows?
    Here are details of Ubuntu with a bash shell on Windows 10 including Kevin Gallo's speech (30th March 2016):
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/03/30/run-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows/

Here are Microsoft's instructions for installing the Bash Shell on Windows 10 (April 6th 2016):
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/04/06/bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows-download-now-3/
    It is an odd April Fool's that carried on until the 6th, so this is probably real, although problems have been reported with the build.

Microsoft buying Cannonical:
    Fossbytes rather unfortunate Aprils Fool's (1st April):
    http://fossbytes.com/microsoft-buys-canonical-kills-ubuntu-linux-forever/
    Admitted as an April Fools in the demo loading screen at the bottom of the original article. Unfortunately still going round two weeks later, leaving me to play whack-a-mole with rumours believed by clients who now won't use Linux solutions because it 'is going to be Windows'. Last one was on Friday last week. <headdesk>.

c3300, Apr 11, 2016
  18. headset85

CaptainOblivious

This is great news to me. I am a bit of a Linux fanboy, but am often forced to work on Windows systems due to program compatibility issues. While I'm very happy with the idea of the Linux shell being available on Windows, the fact that deep integration with Windows components such as powershell is not present really bothers me.

As a developer I am most productive when all my tools are compatible with each other. In the case of Windows with the Bash shell it would lead to a decline and productivity as I would have to frequently switch between Windows and Linux terminals to get my work done. I am completely willing to switch over to a Windows only environment if this is fixed.

CaptainOblivious, Apr 11, 2016
  19. headset85

richj8am30

I don't too much like the sound of this. It seems to me that Windows is probably doing its best to either infiltrate new software that grants certain hacker abilities or it is just trying to stay a float in modern times. Windows is currently one of the most vulnerable OS out there. It is a pretty tough chess move for Mr. Bill Gates.

richj8am30, Jun 13, 2016
  20. headset85

nytegeek

1) It was an April Fool's joke. Did you actually read the comments?

2) Running bash is not the same as running a whole OS or distribution

3) Why are you reviving dead topics instead of commenting on active ones or posting new content?

nytegeek, Jun 13, 2016
Ask a Question