ubuntu ibex, wireless ok except when downloading large files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rolfijn, Nov 16, 2008.

1. rolfijn

rolfijn

Dear list,
    I am running Ibex for a while now, and after the documented tweaks it works rather well and it feels better, more responsive then Hardy. The only problem i have at the moment is this; When i try to download a larger file (say, more then 50 Mb) the download isn't completed. This can be a file from my local LAN or from the internet. The download will stall after some time, but not at the same time all the time e.g: Downloading the same file will sometimes halt at 60Mb and sometimes at 70mb. Downloading the same file through a LAN cable work's fine.

Doing a "lsmod" reveals the "ath5k" driver is loaded, which i installed through the "linux-modules-backports" method.

Does anybody else experience this?

rolfijn, Nov 16, 2008
  2. rolfijn

Citizen86

I was noticing this when trying to transfer larger files from my other laptop to my AAO. I also noticed that it did not transfer very fast at all, topping out at 1mb/sec and actually eventually slowing down to around 600-700 kb/s. Usually my home network is much faster... I have the 160gb version.

Citizen86, Nov 26, 2008
  3. rolfijn

RockDoctor

Here's a bit of a workaround; certainly nt a solution. Use wget from the command line
    Code:
    wget -c [url]http://www.whatever_the_url_is_for_the_file_you_want_to_download[/url]
    the -c option allows a download to continue where it left off

RockDoctor, Nov 26, 2008
  4. rolfijn

raki

i also having the same exact problem as u... anyone else also facing it?

raki, Nov 27, 2008
  5. rolfijn

rolfijn

Or perhaps are people not having this problem when downloading large files? Is so, what wireless drive are you using?

rolfijn, Dec 21, 2008
  6. rolfijn

rolfijn

rolfijn, Dec 24, 2008
  7. rolfijn

pienjo

I used to have this problem (with the UNR image). Fixed by installing the madwifi driver.

pienjo, Dec 25, 2008
Ask a Question