Ubuntu Hardy + VLC media player + Divx + no subtitles?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mabo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mabo

mabo

Hiya,
    At last I got Ubuntu installed on my AA1 150-X. Downloaded some divx to check if I could play some movies on it. All movies players, except VLC, kept crashing the whole system (only mouse cursor could be moved but couldnt click on anything). So I got the movie playing but the subtitles doesnt show up. Got the right subtitles for this version and from time to time I can see some sentences coming but only in window mode not in full screen. Does anyone have any cures for this problem? Just to let you all know, this is the first time Im using any Linux...

BTW is "killing" the process the only way to shut down a crashed program? And when it seems like the system is crashed, is pressing the power button down for 4secs the only way to bring it back to life?

mabo, Sep 6, 2008
  2. mabo

lusephur

can't remember the kill combo for ubuntu, but try killing the xorg server by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, it'll return you to the login screen.
    pressing the power button is a last resort,
    wait for the proggy to respond, if not try holding down alt+sysrq and while holding them down type r e i s u b and you'll safely reboot ( the menomic "resurrecting elephants is so utterly boring" is a handy way of remembering the sequence)

as for divx with subtitles, look for smplayer in the repositories, prefer it myself to VLC

lusephur, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question