Ubuntu: Can't connect to the internet!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FountainDew, Dec 12, 2008.

1. FountainDew

FountainDew

[​IMG]

My problem is whats shown above, I just can't connect to my router! All my other computers are just fine but this one little stubborn laptop! The worst part is that it was running just fine until I began installing KGET.

Driver Installation was done like so (following these instructions):
    Code:
    wget [url]http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz[/url]

tar -xvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz

cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3879-20081204

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo make

sudo make install
    Background info: I have an Acer Aspire One, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD. It original came with Linpus Lite Linux which I hastily replaced with Ubuntu 8.10 that was installed via USB Key successfully.

Help!:confused:

FountainDew, Dec 12, 2008
  2. FountainDew

Russet

I'm having a simmilar problem. I just purchased an AAO today, with Windows XP on it. I usually run Ubuntu from an external USB hard drive, and have had no problem connecting to the internet on a desktop (wired) or a laptop (wireless). When I try either, running my Ubuntu drive on the AAO, I just get "Wireless Network" is greyed out and I don't even have those last two options on your screen.

Russet, Feb 8, 2009
  3. FountainDew

the_raptor

http://www.aspireonekernel.com/

Go there and download his kernel, and probably the Madwifi package. The default Intrepid kernel has crappy support for the AA0 wireless, and you will either get no connection or very dodgy connection (I am getting one to two bars of strength about ten meters from my AP). But installing that kernel should at least get it working. When I tried the Intrepid LiveCD last night it gave me the exact same problem (wouldn't even connect over eth0), but after I installed it and replaced the kernel it worked fine.

the_raptor, Feb 8, 2009
  4. FountainDew

solpuerto

Hi
    I had no end of trouble getting wireless to work on Ubuntu 8.10. The following link might be of use to you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

I used the ath5k Method to get it working but the signal strength is not as good as that on Linpus.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 8, 2009
  5. FountainDew

Andysan

Could you please try entering the following into a terminal if not already:

Code:
    modprobe ath_pci
    ifconfig ath0 up

Andysan, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question