Ubuntu 8.04.1 / ALSA / Problems with sound (crackling)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jebulis, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jebulis

jebulis

I've installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 and ran all the fixes provided here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
    Everything else is working as it should, but the sound output is still distorted. To put it in simple terms, you can either have

1. Sound with the PC-speaker "joining in" and distorting the output
    2. No sound at all

If I disable or blacklist the PC-speaker, I get absolutely no sound. If try changing different channel volumes, it only affects the wave or "normal" sound output (provided by the ALC268 chip), but the distortion itself remains the same.

I've also tried the instructions provided here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting#head-083f68c150e8cc9de635a7ab89b8ccfc6100ecf8 but so far nothing has helped.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    Tried installing 1.0.19 ALSA drivers, but the problem persists.

jebulis, Jul 31, 2008
  2. jebulis

einarth

andrey found and posted the solution to the sound problem in a different thread.

The key is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and add a line stating "blacklist snd_pcsp". Reboot, and the noise disappears. I believe that this is exactly disabling the PC speaker.

einarth, Jul 31, 2008
  3. jebulis

binnary

Yes it works! Now we have to find a solution for de SD card reader and for de storage expansión and we will have full ubuntu support for de Acer Aspire ONE!

Thanks for all folks! ;)

binnary, Jul 31, 2008
  4. jebulis

ptechno

Hello,
    Lets see, what Ive done is:
    Rebuild ALSA, added a line for internal MIC ("options snd-hda-intel model=auto") and added this in blacklist ("blacklist snd_pcsp")
    I hear well videos using headphones, but Im not sure if its working 100%, should it work perfectly fine after what ive done?
    And... there's still no way for fixing everything?
    Thanks ;-)

ptechno, Aug 3, 2008
  5. jebulis

2manydjs

A not so elegant hack to get audio working after suspend.

2manydjs, Aug 5, 2008
  6. jebulis

jebulis

If I do that, I lose all sound, internal speakers and headphones.

EDIT:

It seems to be all or nothing with this laptop, either I get no sound at all or I get the Realtek ALC268 supplied sound with the PC Speaker providing distortion. Even if I set the PC Speaker volume to zero, I then also lose all volume from the ALC268 Master channel.

Blacklisting snd_pcsp leads to the same result, I lose all sound. Is there a way to re-install the ALSA snd-hda-intel drivers without PC Speaker?

jebulis, Aug 6, 2008
Ask a Question