U3 Cruzer Titanium 1GB 9gb/sec flashdrive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

This is the first u3 flashdrive I've bought with a very high 9gb/sec throughput.
    When plugged in to the aspire one it shows up as 2 separate drives. a u3 system drive with 0mb of 5mb free and a 1gb storage drive.
    There are various files on it including system folders. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. It is suppose to be windows, mac and linux compatible.

Does anyone know how the u3 system works under linpus lite? It is suppose to be skype compatible as well.

Aspiration, Aug 2, 2009
  2. Aspiration

melhiore

Part of this drive contains file specific to U3 technology and some software. You can format this flash drive just to have storage space but is always fun to have f.e. full Skype software preinstalled on USB... I have 16GB U3 and it works brilliant...

melhiore, Aug 2, 2009
  3. Aspiration

fweigel

Aspiration

I would leave the first (full) partition alone. It probably contains "driver" programs. Why? Don't know.

Use the 1GB partition. Don't install any "drivers". Really DON'T. You can't trust that software.

What does "Skype compatible" mean for a storage device? What is it supposed to add?

fweigel, Aug 2, 2009
  4. Aspiration

melhiore

Skype is already installed there! All you need is provide user name and password and that's it :) After plugging Cruzer to USB U3 should automagically load up and you will see U3 icon in system trey. Right click to options, double click to open storage folder...

melhiore, Aug 3, 2009
  5. Aspiration

Aspiration

After reading some instructions on the packaging it says that the u3 is only compatible with windows 2000 and xp although the packaging also says it is compatible with Linux, Mac, and Windows. I'm assuming it means the software is only compatible with windows 2000 and xp and the hardware is compatible with Linux, Mac etc. Since the system files have windows executables (*.exe), I'm assuming that they won't run with Linpus. Just to be safe I made an .iso image on my mac so I can restore it to the original state with the original Master Boot Record etc. It comes with software like skype and a game plus some other stuff. I should be able to plug it into my wife's broken xp laptop and play around with the software.
    Doesn't U3 software only work with windows? Security now says that U3 Technology is very bad for security as it can do just about anything to a windows computer.
    I noticed that when I plugged in the memory stick on my aspire one that it made system folders for pictures, videos etc just like it did with the 16GB SDHC. So I'm assuming that it will store media files in those folders using the aufs to merge system storage. Is this right?

Aspiration, Aug 3, 2009
  6. Aspiration

Aspiration

Skype compatible means that it is suppose to be able to install Skype on the u3 stick and you can run it from there on any computer without leaving any traces on the computer. So rather than installing skype on the computer its plugged into, it keeps the entire skype program on the u3 stick for security reasons. That way you can just plug it in and run skype, keeping all your communications private on the u3 stick. It comes with a version of Skype that runs on the U3 stick.

Aspiration, Aug 3, 2009
  7. Aspiration

fweigel

Huh.

Now, I am supposed to trust a flash vendor for software distribution? Have they supplied reference MD5 (or other crypto-strong hash) for the distribution files? I don't trust them to produce drivers -- I *sure* don't trust them to package an entire application.

Use Skype from Acer, at least it follows RPM conventions (although even THAT could be stronger, Acer should have committed to making a Repository).

Skype for your Acer is available at:

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... nnect.html

fweigel, Aug 5, 2009
  8. Aspiration

Aspiration

I agree.

Aspiration, Aug 8, 2009
Ask a Question