Two HDDs?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Wez, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Wez

Wez

I heard on the board that the Aspire One 150(HDD Model) still has, but doesnt use the zif connection, does this mean that in theory I could install a 1.8" zif drive to my laptop aswell?

That would be cool then as one HDD could be used for XP/Vista and the other for Linux.

I know there's the question of space inside the AAO but is it possible?

Wez, Oct 4, 2008
  2. Wez

melhiore

I was thinking about the same :) I even put some thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4047 but I did not get satisfactory answer as yet :) Probably nobody did not try this as yes...

melhiore, Oct 4, 2008
  3. Wez

Wez

Hmm...
    In that case i'll go ahead and buy a 1.8" harddrive anyway next Friday, if it doesn't work, i'll have a handy 1.8" portable usb harddrive :D

Wez, Oct 5, 2008
  4. Wez

PGH_One_User

No chance without heavy soldering. In my 150 there is a spot for the ZIF connector but there is no physical connector there. You may need to work some magic to get voltage on some of the pads because I believe some of the connections are shared between the two connectors SATA and ZIF.

I think a better option would be to purchase a larger HD and partition it or just partition the one you have.

Option 3 would be to use the internal USB and boot from a thumb drive or 1.8" drive in a USB enclosure.

PGH_One_User, Oct 6, 2008
  5. Wez

XE1UFO

You might consider instead buying a brand new 250-Gig 2.5" Laptop SATA drive. Using Ghost or some other disk image program, duplicate the internal to the new one. My
    250-Gig dirve, with 8-Megs on-board cache cost me only the equivalent of $130 U.S. here in Mexico. i am sure you might find something larger up in the U.S.

XE1UFO, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question