Tweaking Linux SSD usage

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aclinml, Jan 7, 2009.

1. aclinml

aclinml

Let me start by saying I am a complete Linux noobie, but I am somewhat Literate in Windows. I just bought an Aspire One and thought Linux would be a better choice (and test) for this little laptop.

My question is about a tip I saw at 'http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/'. The last tip talked about tweaking the SSD usage (on the last page).

First question, do you think this option is worth it? If so, what exactly is it doing?

Second question, after I entered the command 'sudo mousepad /boot/grub/grub.conf', I get the next screen with the RED line at the top, but absolutely nothing else on the screen. I assume I am suppose to be editing some data, and the fact that nothing shows up, means the typed file doesn't exist, so I would be creating it new.

Also, what exactly is MOUSEPAD????

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

aclinml, Jan 7, 2009
  2. aclinml

rbil

Do a google to learn more about I/O scheduling. Won't hurt to add that to the kernel line ...

http://tinyurl.com/a3agre

Mousepad is the text editor that comes installed on Linpus. If you're running that command and not accessing the grub.conf file in mousepad, then you've typed something incorrectly. Possibly inserted a space or missed a space. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Jan 7, 2009
  3. aclinml

aclinml

You are correct. I did miskey something.

Still, any thoughts if this is a good change for SSD?

aclinml, Jan 7, 2009
  4. aclinml

daldred

Ask a Question