TV Tuner on Aspire One

Discussion in 'Windows' started by denz_h, Jul 27, 2008.

1. denz_h

denz_h

[​IMG]

Hi guys! I just want to ask if you recommend hooking up the aspire one with a usb tv tuner. I bought my tv tuner for my desktop, but now it's currently out on repair. I'd like to hook it up with my aspire one if it's not going to wreck the machine. I'd like to hear your opinion guys! Thanks.

denz_h, Jul 27, 2008
  2. denz_h

loopyoyo

unless its got a hardware decoder built in then id say your chances of getting a smooth experience are almost nill...especially if u plan on watching hd content over the air

only hope of tv on this machine is the card in the link below

http://www.autumnwave.com/Consumers/OnAir-GT.html

loop

loopyoyo, Jul 27, 2008
  3. denz_h

ineedaname

Hey I got TV on my A1. Instead of using a TV Tuner I'm using a Slingbox. If you're using your own wirless the Slingbox will b a LOT smoother than a USB TV Tuner. On my wireless i can get 3-5Mbps. I can also use it anywhere else in the world and I still get 1Mbps since that's my max upload speed of my home internet.

ineedaname, Jul 28, 2008
  4. denz_h

Davidcowling

9 inch screen is a bit small for telly methinks!

Davidcowling, Jul 28, 2008
  5. denz_h

Verbl Kint

If you're stuck in an airport and you have to watch a live sporting event (Champs League, NBA, Olypics, etc), then a 9 in would be grand. I once watched a live boxing match on my celfone as I did not have a choice hehehe.

Verbl Kint, Jul 28, 2008
  6. denz_h

rory

Exactly. I watched the film Wanted on the plane to Magaluf. Was fine. And that was on my 5 inch Htc Advantage.
    Can't wait for the HSDPA/HSUPA module so I can watch TV in lectures like an idiot. But on a more serious note, I'd acctually want it so I could go anywhere with a small bag and not be disconnected from the world, providing there's signal :)
    Rory

rory, Jul 28, 2008
  7. denz_h

jack

Mine has more than enough umph to run a MythTV front-end without any issues. My Myth server basically records and then streams the DVB video at the same bit-rate and format that it is broadcast at. So the One should have enough power to run a USB DVB or analogue receiver.

Transcoding the DVB or compressing and recording the analogue signal is a different matter.

It may have trouble with HD transmissions (don't have HD, so never tried), but given the resolution of the screen, is that really going to be a problem?

jack, Jul 29, 2008
  8. denz_h

Davidcowling

if you can live with 9 inches.. then get a slingbox

Davidcowling, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question