Tutorial to Install Mac OS X Kalyway to Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by lfogs, Nov 1, 2008.

1. lfogs

lfogs

This tutorial will help you Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5 - Link to the original tutorial: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129774

:!: Things you needed for this tutorial :
    - A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')
    - The Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')
    - The Official 10.5.4 DELTA update from here
    - The Official 10.5.5 update from here
    - Paul's Wind driver and utility pack here
    :!: place the above list on a USB stick or CD / DVD
    - An external DVD drive
    - Acer Aspire BIOS update here

A
    As per Paul's guide :
    - A proper licenced copy of Leopard
    Now, of course you could install without the above item, but i'm in favour of being fair to Apple. Regardless of the intricacies and enforcability (or otherwise) of the EULA, it's playing fair to buy a licence for Leopard if you plan to use it on a machine. IMHO anyway. It's up to you of course, but it makes me feel better! I look at it as 'Apple won't build me a 10" notebook so I have to do it myself'

B
    Follow every step carefully!
    Download the latest BIOS AND UPDATE latest BIOS
    After updating your BIOS, enter BIOS setup and press F9 to 'restore best performance defaults'. This step is VITAL!
    Step by Step - installing OSX on your AA1 A150
    1. Insert the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk into your external DVD drive, and plug it into your AA1
    2. Start your AA1, and press F12 when prompted to choose a boot device, select your DVD drive
    3. When prompted to hit a key to boot from CD/DVD, hit a key.... you'll see a ton of text scroll up the screen - just sit tight
    4. You'll next be presented with your language select screen. I imagine you want English, so just hit enter! It'll then sit doing 'Preparing Installation' for a while.
    5. When you get the 'Welcome' screen, don't hit continue straight away! Move your point to the 'Utilities' menu, and select 'Disk Utility'.
    6. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive in the left hand pane (probably the very top entryis your HDD manufacturer's name')
    7. Click 'Partition' on the right hand pane.
    8. Under 'Volume Scheme', click '1 partition'. ( this varies on your desire on how many partition you want )

C
    If you already have a prepared partition you can Goto > Disk Utility > choose selected partion > choose erase > use MAC OS extended Journaled
    9. Give your disk a nice name.
    10. Click 'Apply'
    11. Wait for it to do it's thing, then select 'Quit Disk Utility' from the 'Disk Utility' menu.
    12. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click 'Continue'.
    13. Click 'Agree' when the legalese blurb pops up.
    14. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned! Click 'Continue'.
    15. Click 'Customize'.
    16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.
    17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'kernel_9.2speedstep'
    18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel_GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'
    19. Completely uncheck 'Audio_Drivers'.
    20. Expand 'Networks_Drivers'. and select ONLY 'RTL1000'.
    21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.
    22. Completely uncheck 'Thirds_Applications'. ( I choose some applications which I have used before but if you are a 1st time Mac user need you need uncheck this area )
    23. completely uncheck 'Patches'.
    24. Click 'Done'
    25. Click 'Install' and go and make yourself a cup of tea! ( nice one Paul :lol!: )
    26. :!: The install will now take place, if you want to speed it up, you can 'Skip' the installation DVD check.
    28. When the 'Install Succeeded' screen appears, eject the install DVD and hit 'Restart'.
    29. OS will now start up for the first time, and take you through the setup wizard.
    30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, goto drive name > applications > Utililities > Terminal

D
    Currently we are using 9.2 Speedstep Kernel, since I want to use Vanilla Kernel from the original Mac OS, and for this system vanilla kernel will only support 1 cpu ( still trying to look for solution and make use of 2 cpu's)
    Type in the following command in Terminal Mode:
    Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    System will ask you for your password, you may enter your password
    look for "Kernel Flags" and put "cpus=1".
    Press i to insert item
    Eg.
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>cpus=1</string>
    Press Esc
    Press shift+:wq

31. Insert the disk containing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update in a USB or CD
    32. Run '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' this wil upgrade the system from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!
    33. After the above install has completed, run '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' and step through the installation process. Select the 'vallina_kernel_9.3' kernel.
    34. Restart your AA1.
    35. When prompted to do so, press F8 to interrupt the Darwin startup.
    36. Type 'update -v' (without the quotes obviously), and press enter. Your AA1 may reboot a couple of times during this update process. Don't panic!

E
    You can check the Version details by clicking on the Apple logo on the upper left hand corner> choose about this Mac.
    Since we are using Vanilla kernel now we can upgrade using Apple original update.
    37. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.4 update.

F
    Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type "sudo su -" without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" without the quotes.
    Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it
    38. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' to mount the image.
    39. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.pkg' and step through the installation process.

G
    Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing C (Ctrl + C). Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.
    40. When prompted press F8 and use "-v" to boot without quotes ( a lot of text msg comming out dont worry system will boot it self soon )
    41. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.5 update.

H
    Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type "sudo su -" without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" without the quotes.
    Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

42. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg' to mount the image.
    43. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg' and step through the installation process.

I
    Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing C (Ctrl + C). Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.
    System will take a long time to reboot let the system be until it will restart. If in case you run out of patience it will not reboot you have to do hard reboot on the system and use "update –v" Steps 35-36 on boot

Installing Sound Drivers
    1. Insert the disk containing the Wind driver and utility pack.
    2. Select the 'Sound' directory
    3. Double click on AzaliaAudio.pkg and go through the installation wizard and restart.
    4. Download ALC268FIX from here http://rapidshare.com/files/126062908/ALC268FIX.zip
    5. Run ALC268Installer 1 but Do not restart !
    6. BEFORE restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext

J
    Double click on HDD name eg. OSX where your OS is install > Double click System > Library > Extensions > look for ALCInject.kext > right click move to Trash
    7. Use Paul's Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext

K
    You can locate the Kext helper by Double click on HDD name eg. OSX where your OS is install > Applications > locate Kext helper B7
    Drag and drop the HDAEnabler.kext file, enter the password and press EASE INSTALL

4. Fix Permissions with Disk Utility (launch Disk Utility, select your partition and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "First Aid" tab). and Restart.
    5. Goto System Preferences > Sound > make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in Play alerts and Sound effects through
    6. Now sound should work
    Fixing the About this MAC

See when you goto the upper left hand corner of your screen click on the Apple logo and choose About this MAC, the processor type would say 1.g unknown to fix the issue.

1. Goto Paul's Wind Driver Utility Pack
    2. under Utilities
    3. Double click on About this Mac.pkg and follow the instructions
    4. no need to restart, you can check is changes are made by following the quote above
    It should say : Processor Intel Atom CPU [email protected]
    Installing Video Card Intel GMA 945 with 1024x600 resolution my Fab.
    1. run Kext Helper B7 from your Application Folder
    2. open Paul's Wind Driver Utility Pack
    3. select ONLY AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, ClamshellDisplay.kext and Natit.kext
    4. drag to Kext Helper B7
    5. enter your password and click EASY INSTALL
    6. Fix Permissions with Disk Utility (launch Disk Utility, select your partition and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "First Aid" tab). and Restart.
    7. after restart you can now change your LCD resolution from 600x800 to 1024x600

To change resolution goto System Preferences > Display > choose which resolution that best fits your needs

lfogs, Nov 1, 2008
  2. lfogs

jermzkill

Re: Tutorial to Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One

dam thats a lot of work... iAtkos for the win ;)

jermzkill, Nov 1, 2008
  3. lfogs

rory

its the same amount of work, except for the updating to 10.5.5 which isnt covered in the iatkos thread...
    every time ive tried to update to 10.5.5 its fucked up...
    very very nice guide though... sometimes i wish we could give award type things...
    rory

rory, Nov 2, 2008
  4. lfogs

hobbang819

hobbang819, Nov 2, 2008
  5. lfogs

lfogs

How many people knew that there was another tutorial at Insanelymac.com?
    I didn't!!!
    This tutorial has been sent to me by a friend as a text file, and i thought that it could help others like it helped me...

But "Hobbang819" thanks for your information...
    You could be more helpfull if you got ktext files for battery indicator, wirelless lan card, keyboard with "Alt Gr" function for "@" symbols working...
    Don't you have anymore ORIGINAL Links to share with us? Try to find them and post them here.
    We would be greatfull for life!!!

lfogs, Nov 2, 2008
  6. lfogs

Will C

This all sounds good - but how well does it work?

Are there any good reviews/reports about using OS X on an AAO for some time? (Sorry newbie here and not sure what to search for)

A lot of the guides I have seen say how to do the installation and the problems with wireless, sound etc, but not how well it runs various apps.

I have recently bought a macbook and great as it is I am still interested in an AAO though mostly as a dedicated 'listen again' device for radio. I am more used to configuring OS X for this kind of thing - though maybe I should consider the linux route.

Will C, Nov 2, 2008
  7. lfogs

lfogs

The only main problems i've detected were:

I can't get "Alt Gr" key for imputing symbols like "@" working, portuguese keyboard.
    I can't get the battery indicator at the upper bar.
    I can't get the USB devices connected when the operating system is already running working (They only work if they were previously connect before turning on the computer).
    I can' get any fix for the main Wirelless Lan card driver to work.

The sound works fine, the touchpad too, just change settings and you will get touchpad double click, the graphics too with full resolution...

lfogs, Nov 2, 2008
  8. lfogs

Will C

Thanks but...apologies if this sounds rude - have you done this to use OS X on your AAO or as an exercise to see if it could be done?

How well does it cope with running say iTunes, iMovie, VLC, Quicktime etc?

I am impressed with what you and others have achieved.

TIA

Will C, Nov 2, 2008
  9. lfogs

rory

the first i have no idea about, i dont have a portugese keyboard
    the second: kalyway problem (get iatkos istead)
    the third: kalyway problem
    the fourth: it wont work, just replace it. it costs a dy waiting for the card, half an hour or less to install, zero time to configure (its an official airport card) and sub £20. im talking about a dell 1390

rory, Nov 2, 2008
  10. lfogs

lfogs

Thanks but...apologies if this sounds rude - have you done this to use OS X on your AAO or as an exercise to see if it could be done?

How well does it cope with running say iTunes, iMovie, VLC, Quicktime etc?

I am impressed with what you and others have achieved.

TIA[/quote:2xchkutt]

iTunes, iMovie, VLC, Quicktime all work fine, you can even install Office 2008 it works too...

lfogs, Nov 2, 2008
  11. lfogs

mjk2727

I have finished all the steps but now every time I boot I have to type "update -v" to get it to boot into osx. How can I fix this? Please help. Also front row won't work.

mjk2727, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question