Turns off when playing games

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by Valikojan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Valikojan

Valikojan

Some time ago, I started having the problem of my HP 635 turning off randomly, regardless of what I was doing on it. It would simply turn off in the middle of anything. I checked my laptop for viruses, and also had its cooling system cleaned and changed, but neither of those things helped. I then reinstalled Windows, which DID help. Now, it always works fine and never turns off... Unless I'm playing games. I've had this on both online and offline games. When that happens, the laptop is somewhat hot. Earlier, though, when my laptop was still entirely fine, it used to get MUCH hotter during games and such and never turned off at all. Of course, it meets all the sysreqs for the games I play. I'm quite confused about this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Valikojan, Jan 1, 2016
  2. Valikojan

something back

It's either a driver problem or,

There is a possibility that the graphic card chip is overheating. To rectify this on a laptop is
    a bit tricky. You may have to partly disassemble the laptop to gain access.

It's a very inexpensive repair but tricky it requires the application of Thermal paste
    to the top of the graphic card chip

I have included a link to a web page that has a disassembly manual.

http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/notebook/hp/hp_630,_631,_635,_636_maintenance_and_service_guide.pdf

something back, Jan 1, 2016
  3. Valikojan

Valikojan

Thanks, I'll try that

Valikojan, Jan 1, 2016
  4. Valikojan

Sefie

I had the very same problem back when my old Toshiba laptop was my main and only laptop. It happened only when I had been playing a game for a bit, then suddenly it would turn itself off. It turned out to be an overheating problem, most likely caused by a broken fan. hope you can solve your problem soon, thought you should look into this as well.

Sefie, Jan 3, 2016
    Valikojan likes this.
  5. Valikojan

nytegeek

It is almost certainly a heat issue. Even if the fans are working. Sometimes fans on chip-sets or cpu's need to be re-pasted and reset as well. Dust can be a major factor also.

nytegeek, Jan 5, 2016
  6. Valikojan

Valithor

Definitely a heating or a power supply issue. Run SpeedFan while playing a game in windowed or borderless window mode and keep an eye on your temps. If it gets up 80 degrees Celcius, you need to do some serious cleaning and possibly a new coating of thermal paste.

Valithor, Jan 11, 2016
    Valikojan likes this.
  7. Valikojan

nytegeek

I wouldn't waste my time with something like Speedfan or testing the machine under load at this point. It's already pretty clear that the computer has heating issues to address.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
Ask a Question