Trying to add Toshiba ZIF drive - no booting

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by xraycat, Sep 14, 2008.

1. xraycat

xraycat

I am trying to get a Toshiba MK3008GAL drive in my One to replace my SSD. I have already installed a 1GB stick of RAM and have once again opened up the One to install the new drive.

I can't get it to boot though. When I push the power button the screen doesn't even come on and then after a few seconds everything shuts off. I can't get to the BIOS or anything. I can reconnect the old SSD and everything is fine. I can connect the new drive via a USB/ZIF adapter and the BIOS reads it fine. It is only a problem when I have it connected to the motherboard.

The drive works on my other PC via a ZIF to USB adapter and I am able to format the drive with FAT32. Should I try NTFS? I have three different ZIF cables, all work fine with the SSD and all work fine with the new drive connected to the USB/ZIF adapter.

What could be the problem?

xraycat, Sep 14, 2008
  2. xraycat

xraycat

OK, I guess I just needed to mess around with the cable some more. I originally had the cable installed as shown in the guides on this site but at first it didn't work which I realize now I probably didn't have the cable inserted far enough or something. So, I turned the cable over and was getting the problem described above. I finally tried the cable the right way and made sure it was in all the way and everything is good.

I'm now installing Vista on the 30GB drive and everything seems to be running smoothly.

xraycat, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question