Troubles making a Recovery USB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bjrn, Jul 16, 2008.

1. bjrn

bjrn

Perhaps someone can help me. I want to make a Linpus recovery USB, I have the recovery DVD in my drive, I boot up, get the little menu and select the "Make a recovery USB" option. After that all I get is a black screen, and the DVD just spins down and nothing else happens. The USB stick I have is a 2GB SanDisk thing.

Does anyone know what might be up?

bjrn, Jul 16, 2008
  2. bjrn

techie

it seems to be very picky about the USB drive. mine gets past the install to USB and seems fine then fails to actually work when used on the Aspire (fails to mount rd-base something).

Unfortunately I dont have an external dvd rom either...I am working on creating a bootable usb drive and simply copying the dvd contents to it and seeing if that will work with some tweaking.

techie, Jul 16, 2008
  3. bjrn

bjrn

The thing is that both my desktop and my Aspire One have no trouble working with the USB drive, it's just the recovery DVD that's not working. Although I guess it might fail booting even if reading it when the system is up and running works...

bjrn, Jul 16, 2008
  4. bjrn

bjrn

Just a little update. The Acer has no trouble recognizing the USB disk (my desktop is fine with it too). I tried making a Ubuntu LiveUSB with UNetbootin, and it worked just fine, booted up and worked just peachy (except wifi, natch).

I called Acer's helpdesk. The people at Acer NL seem to have less info about the thing than the people over at these forums (seriously, I had to repeat things over and over and over again before they sank in), and decided that I need a new Recovery DVD because the one I have has an error. So I'm going to get some sort of repair request document mailed to me that I need to sign and send back to them, and then I'm getting a replacement DVD. Yep, that's what they told me. TBH my guess is that any replacement DVD will exhibit the same issues, perhaps Linpus doesn't like my screen or something.

bjrn, Jul 16, 2008
  5. bjrn

gerarddelafas

Hi, I just create a Recovery USB but when I insert the USB drive into my Acer Aspire one (or into my Acer Extensa 5220) first of all appears a console screen contains the repetition of the word BB, than the nettop normally starts without making the recovery.

Anyone has any ideas?

I need Recovery because on this NetTop was installed only the English language (I need italian too) and at every reboot the keyboard is set to en/us instead of IT. Is there a way to definitely change system and keyboard language (into Italian)?

Many Thanks

gerarddelafas, Jul 17, 2008
  6. bjrn

Flaterik

Prova con una USB piu' grande , io ho risolto con una da 4gb, prima avevo il tuo stesso problema. Al ripristino ti fa reinserire la linua e sei Ok.

Try with a bigger usb, i do it with a 4gb and i resolved it. At the recovery you can choose the new language

Flaterik, Jul 17, 2008
  7. bjrn

Kev50027

With the advanced mode "hack" you can easily change the language or install a new one.

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
  8. bjrn

gerarddelafas

Thanks restored System and Keyboard language to Italian ;) :mrgreen:

gerarddelafas, Jul 18, 2008
  9. bjrn

zaphod

Could you explain how in a bit more detail please ? I have a French keyboard layout but would like English system language.

zaphod, Jul 18, 2008
  10. bjrn

jeromlenz

Did you try this one,
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102#p906
    Ca devrait marcher comme sur des roulettes!? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if you get an American EN(US) keyboard layout after reboot though.
    Then > "Settings" > "Input Languages" to add back the French keyboard layout.
    Good luck...

jeromlenz, Jul 19, 2008
  11. bjrn

dandesigns

I have troubles making recovery usb too as I cannot do it on my desktop pc with windows in it. The cd will just boot up, let you choose what to do then once the "Aspire One" logo appears, the scroll lock and caps lock key will just blink eternally.

What i did was grabbed an external cd/dvd drive, plugged it in the aspire one, booted up on the cd, then made the recovery disk from there.

dandesigns, Jul 19, 2008
  12. bjrn

Landingsman

My recovery disk won't boot on a windows xp pc. Any secret to get it to do so?

Landingsman, Jul 27, 2008
  13. bjrn

anders

changing from a 1 gb to 4gb stick fixed the problem for me as well.

anders, Jul 27, 2008
  14. bjrn

victor

I have the same problem with my 1GB stick. Can you tell me how much space is needed for the recovery stick? 2GB 4GB?

victor, Aug 9, 2008
  15. bjrn

retsaw

It is just over 1GB, I'm not sure there are any 1GB it will fit on, but I suppose it is possible there are some. With 2GB+ there shouldn't be any space issues.

retsaw, Aug 10, 2008
  16. bjrn

veloc123

Hi Guys

When i went to create a USB Recovery disk it erased the data on my secondary IDE hard drive on my main PC instead of the plugged-in USB Flash DRive that it said it was picking to do the disk creation on.

I have now lost all my 60GB of data that IDE drive. I also tried to it a second time once i had re-initialised the drive and it re-formatted it again eventhough it specifically says that it is picking the USB Flash DRive.

Fuckin Nuts!!

Any had this done happen to them also...

veloc123, Aug 10, 2008
  17. bjrn

hmraao

Firstly, see if what you're trying to use is mentioned in the list of USB-sticks that can be used in reinstall topic

Mostly people are reporting problems using SanDisk sticks. The create recovery usb drive process seems to reformat the stick, and, from experience, I know that the Cruzer U3 smart drives don't allow you to delete the various system apps that are preloaded on them. Having said that, there's at least one report of success using SanDisk Cruzer 2GB, so perhaps that poster might be able to advise you.

hmraao, Aug 10, 2008
  18. bjrn

veloc123

Thanks yes I am using Sandisk 2GB Cruzer

veloc123, Aug 11, 2008
  19. bjrn

sesy

Hi

I used a sandisk 4GB cruzer; main issue for the recovery dvd was that it could find the thing only in one usb port (the comp I used has 5) which stumped me for long time... perhaps the usb port is the 'first' in some internal queue. Haven't now energy to find out.

Acer coders might have used their time to make sure that any usb port can be found, instead of setting up some not-so-necessary nice picture changes during the recovery...

Best
    Seppo

sesy, Aug 13, 2008
  20. bjrn

dragonstears

Me too, my dad has lost all his work related data because of it!!!! I'm going to try and find out if there is a way to recover the data, if not, it's onto Acer for some angry customer style phonecalls!!!!

dragonstears, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question