Tried to install ubuntu many times

Discussion in 'Linux' started by crobber, May 8, 2012.

1. crobber

crobber

I have tried many times to install ubuntu on my acer aspire 1, 11.6 screen. I sure could use help in getting the right linux/ubuntu for my acer.
    Thanks
    crobber

crobber, May 8, 2012
  2. crobber

bodhi.zazen

you will need to describe your problem with Ubuntu in more detail. Try Ubuntu 12.04.

bodhi.zazen, May 9, 2012
  3. crobber

crobber

I did try ubuntu 12.04 and nothing

crobber, May 9, 2012
  4. crobber

lisheen

lisheen, May 9, 2012
  5. crobber

PCNetSpec

There's a walkthrough of installing PepprmintOS Two on an AA1 here:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9782.0
    and any problems, theyll be happy to help.

It's very much Like Lubuntu, in as much as it's lighter than the full blow Ubuntu or Linux Mint .. and IMHO nicer than Lubuntu (though that's just *my* opinion, which should be treated like any other) .. even though the developers also do a lot of the work on Lubuntu.

It must be pointed out, that Peppermint Two is based on Ubuntu 11.04, but Peppermint Three (based on 12.04) will be released around the end of this month .. so if considering Peppermint, you may want to wait a few weeks :)

Or you could just use the tutorial to learn how to create a LiveUSB of any Linux distribution. .. and a guide to installation.

*Most* of the instructions in that tutorial will also apply to Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu and Linux Mint too.

HTH .. and good luck.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 10, 2012
  6. crobber

Darryl

Problem with Peppermint OS is that its "googled" to the max so wave bye bye to all your privacy and data protection regardless of how "virus free" your OS is.... Personally I'd go with Mint 12 or ANYTHING else. It'll work more than well enough for most needs until they've worked out the bugs in the 12.04 LTS (long term support till 2017 I think) in a few months time IF thats what the problem is. Most do report that the full blown 12.04 does work very well on netbooks. Just make sure that whatever medium you use to put the OS image on is marked as bootable. I use Unetbootin, iust download the image point unetbootin at the ISO file and the usb you want to use and there you go. PM me if you want help on this I've changed my CP settings so I'll get email if you do...
    Good Luck

Darryl, Jun 13, 2012
  7. crobber

PCNetSpec

That is quite possibly the strangest statement I've ever read concerning Peppermint.

Please explain to me:-

a) What "Googled to the max" means.

b) What makes you think Peppermint is tied to Google any more than Mint or Ubuntu .. it uses Google Chromium as the default web browser, but you can easily replace that with Firefox if you choose (indeed installing Firefox is in the tutorial).

c) How you consider telling people to install a Linux distribution with the full Gnome/Unity DE on a limited resource netbook is preferable to a distribution with a light weight but fully functional DE such as LXDE.

d) How you got to be a senior member making such broad and unfounded statements .. or is it purely based on the amount of postings one makes, no matter what the content.

Also, with browser usage statistics now showing Google Chrome as the #1 browser of choice .. I don't think the majority of people share your paranoia.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    PCNetSpec, Jun 17, 2012
  8. crobber

Darryl

Ouch..I touched a nerve there huh? So much so you asked the first question twice. Anyhoo,

a) and b) http://peppermintos.com/about-peppermint/

c) Because I like it, I use it, it works. Lxde is too stripped out for my liking. Thats my liking. Thats my opinion. So shoot me.

d) Unfounded! Here you go. Enjoy! http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=google+in+court&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gl=uk

I'm glad the majority of people don't share your temperament. I gave an opinion and an offer of help. I didn't realise, after all these years I've been doing it wrong! :eek: but finally...

e) Nice signature

Darryl, Jun 21, 2012
  9. crobber

PCNetSpec

Nope, that wasn't an opinion, and wasn't put forward as one, otherwise I'd have said nothing .. it was a misrepresentation of facts (and still is).

Peppermint uses the Chromium web browser .. that's the FULL extent of their use of anything Google .. the other listed Google apps at their "About" page are all just WEB apps that are linked to (it IS a "Cloud" distro by default after all), they are NOT installed locally, and you don't have to use them, if you want local apps there's nothing stopping you installing whatever YOU want, such as Firefox/Thunderbird/LibreOffice/ etc.

Your not knowing that, gives the impression you're criticizing something you've never tried ?

IMHO (and this bit's an opinion) the full Gnome/Unity desktop as used by Mint/Ubuntu/etc. is far to heavy/bloated for a netbook with limited hardware, it's better suited to the desktop, and can do little the lighter LXDE can do.

I'm somewhat stumped what the link to the Google court case proves, beyond search algorithms sometimes get things wrong and Google may be slow to respond.

Don't get me wrong here though .. I'm not a fan of data collection, though for search engines it's a necessary evil, it's the definition of what they do and the web would be unusable without them .. I also agree Google overstep the mark regularly .. My point was not that Google are "great", but that your associating Peppermint with Google any more than it's choice of default web browser is just plain wrong.

I'll admit I may have been over zealous in the way I worded parts of my last response .. and for that I apologise.
    (Heh .. you should have seen the pre-calmed draft ;) )

Cheers for the comment on my sig :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    PCNetSpec, Jun 21, 2012
Ask a Question