Tried to install Latex & Kile, now desktop won't load

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by stephenkinsella, Oct 17, 2008.

1. stephenkinsella

stephenkinsella

Hi All,

(please also see update post below)

Complete noob FAIL.

I went to the Add/Remove packages section, went to install tetex/kile/etc to edit LaTeX documents on the One, and now the desktop isn't loading.

I'm shitting myself, as this computer isn't mine, I just borrowed it for a trip. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

The taskbar is still there, the computer can be turned off and on and is connecting to the wifi, but no cute little desktop icons. I'm quite scared.

Right now when I click on the 'home' icon, the error I see is:

Could not run command: xfdesktop2 --gogome: Failed to execute child process "xfdesktop2" (No such file or directory).

Obviously I've messed with the desktop environment. Any suggestions or quick fixes would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Best,

Stephen

stephenkinsella, Oct 17, 2008
  2. stephenkinsella

stephenkinsella

Ok, after looking around for an hour, it seems I've to download the disk recovery cd and create a usb key to reinstall. Problem is, I'm running a mac normally, so the disk won't even mount. Is there anyone out there who simply has a .iso of the system restore/install usb to hand around?

I should also say I'm able to access the terminal now, so I've tried to liveupdate in the hopes it will simply restore the broken components, but no dice. I've tried to upgrade the fedora release, again no dice. I'm now aware Kile is a gnome program, hence the crash. But I'm obviously missing the desktop app, which shouldn't need a complete reinstall but a wipe using synaptic or yum, shouldn't it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its 10.30pm here, my flight leaves at 4.30am, so any sleep you can give me I'd be grateful for!

stephenkinsella, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question