Transplant Zune A/V Composite to A1?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Placebo305, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Placebo305

Placebo305

noobish to a1,havent made any upgrades yet.

I have a busted Zune that just needs a new drive and ive never gotten around to it and just ended up replacing it. I stilll have the carcass, i dont have any technical knowledge, but i can follow soldering directions like a pro, ive replaced processors in hdtvs and such... aside from hardware changes, what would i need to make it compatible on the software end?

the eventual end of this would be using the a/v composite to output video like you would from a zune to a tv.

yea? nea?

anyone?

Placebo305, Mar 29, 2009
  2. Placebo305

jackluo923

You can use the zune's hardware to output composite or component videos through the audio jack. It would sort of act like a "Co-processor".

There's enough room to fit the PCB of the zune inside the AAO. You can use the unused usb port on the back of the motherboard on AAO for data and power. You can combine the audio feed for the headphone jack so you can hear the AAO's sound and the zune's sound. Control pad can be mounted on the bottom of the netbook if you want. There's plenty of room to work with inside the AAO.

jackluo923, Mar 30, 2009
  3. Placebo305

Placebo305

i hadnt even considered mounting the zune control pad. that could be neat.

so now my question(s) would be: is it easier to fuse the entirety of the zune into my aspire? or just remove the plug from the zune and replace the existant one somehow?

because i am really only concerned with replacing the headphone jack with the a/v composite out from the zune and using that when i travel to connect to tv's... im not worried about the rest of the left-over zune bits.

but id need really explicit directions on how to remove the part i need and put it in place. or would putting the rest of the zune's parts in there just easier somehow? either way those explicit directions would still be needed. lol.

thanks

Placebo305, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Placebo305

jackluo923

The zune's av plug won't magically output composite or component signals by themself. You need the zune generate the signal.

It's defintely easier to integrated the whole zune PCB inside the AAO.

Just go look for a zune disassembly guide on ipodrepair site. Search google, i can't remember the URL.

Then search for a aao disassembly guide. There's room for the zune's PCB between the daughter board and the motherboard.

Search for a topic on aceraspireone which tells you that there's 2 more unused usb port on the back of the motherboard. Use it to connect to the zune.

It's a bit complicated to replace the 1/8in audio jack. You have to desolder the whole plastic block and find a way to mount the zune's plug there.

I don't have any instructions. You'll have them figure it out yourself. It's a simple mod which requries a little bit of soldering. That's all.

jackluo923, Mar 30, 2009
  5. Placebo305

Placebo305

Ok i have most of those directions together already, im waiitng on my hub and touchscreen kit.

so youve been really helpful, lemme just ask one more noobish thing:

how do u conjecture the aa0 would integrate that card on the software side? since it is thru the usb hub, do you think it should auto install it as a zune? or wil it just recognize it as some generic fused media board with composite output and some a/v processing ability?

thats it, promise. lol

Placebo305, Mar 31, 2009
  6. Placebo305

jackluo923

Just connect the zune through usb. Windows will recognize zune as a media player. BTW.. you also need a working hdd or flash storage for the zune to store the videos you want to display through composite

jackluo923, Mar 31, 2009
Ask a Question