Trackpad stopped working after using USB pad

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by d5wstat, Feb 1, 2009.

1. d5wstat

d5wstat

Greetings,
    I seemed to have caused a problem with my trackpad after using a USB pad (Adesso). The pad worked fine but it has disabled my trackpad. I am using the Linpus Linux and tried setting the Bios to default. It seems to work up until the wifi kicks in and then it stopped dead in its tracks. It will still take input from a USB pad/mouse but the trackpad is dead. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to re-install Linux (again). Thanks in advance,
    D5wstat

d5wstat, Feb 1, 2009
  2. d5wstat

moon503

I had the same problem which was resolved with this tip :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6635&p=46928&hilit=touchpad+wifi#p46928

"Yes it is one of the updates... I have been having a problem with the touchpad after the update and here is what I did to get it back:
    1. edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Found
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    and commented it outlike this:
    #Option "SHMConfig" "on"

2. removed the directory ~/.gsynaptics using the follwing command:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo rm -rf ~/.gsynaptics

from Ozorba."

This worked for me.

moon503, Feb 2, 2009
  3. d5wstat

fridge

I have a lot of problems after Live Update; all have to do with a Hal initialize failure. At the moment I can use Wifi by restarting the NetworkManger thru:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo /sbin/service NetworkManager restart

I tried your solution for my touchpad, but unfourtunaly it didn't work for me. I also work with a usb-mouse which is working fine. But with or without mouse the touchpad is not working.

To be continued.

The problem was later solved (after a complet reinstall and still having the problem) by letting the battery go empty and leave it so for an hour. Don't understand how this could help but problem is solved. I have also tried to get the bug back by moving it (maby a broken wire e.g) but problem didn't come back.

fridge, Feb 3, 2009
  4. d5wstat

d5wstat

Greetings,
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up reinstalling the software after backing up my files. The touchpad is working again. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when it happens again (as I'm sure it will). I was considering using my old Wacom tablet with my AA1 but after this incident I'll hold off. Thanks again.
    D5wstat

d5wstat, Feb 5, 2009
  5. d5wstat

tinkertaylor

My mousepad stopped working, searched for an explanation and found this

"There is the chance that your mousepad died on you Acer. Another logical explanation is that you pressed Fn+F7, this disables the mousepad"

Silly mistake to make (Doh) but to save anyone else looking thought I would post it here.

tinkertaylor, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question