Trackpad not working properly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Ausuta, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Ausuta

Ausuta

Well hi...

I have a problem with the trackpad of my AAO. I think that's the D150 but I'm not sure, I don't have my netbook right here.

The problem is, looks like the right button is sort of "jammed", it does not feel like it (it clicks normally) but in the Synaptics sensor the right button is colored in green.
    And when I click with the left button the contextual button jumps in.

The only way of using the netbook is disabling the trackpad and using a mouse.

Is this a software issue? Or I will have to send it back to be replaced? It's just one month old...

Thanks.

Ausuta, Jun 8, 2009
  2. Ausuta

AOD150BLACK

It sounds like a hardware issue, but you may have a driver problem.

Have you installed the synaptics touchpad driver? If you have, you don't even need the buttons.

Once you have installed the driver, go to control panel, and mouse. Select the Device Settings tab, and then make sure the synaptics is highlighted, then click the settings button. There you can enable tapping and other features.

By enabling the proper features, you can single tap to click, double tap to double click, double tap and hold to drag then tap again to release, tap with two fingers to right click, and even have forward an d back functionality with two fingers, or zooming with two fingers. If you have trouble with two finger tapping for right clicking, tap once and then press the context menu key on your keyboard for right click menus.

I very rarely use the trackpad buttons, and I'll bet once you get used to tapping, you won't either.

AOD150BLACK, Jun 9, 2009
  3. Ausuta

Ausuta

I already did what you said. Sure, I barely use the trackpad buttons, but I'm most concerned because the netbook is just too new to fail.

Anyway I will try restoring the system, and see what happens.

Thanks for the help :cool:

Ausuta, Jun 9, 2009
  4. Ausuta

mkfort

Having this exact same problem. It does it as well in Ubuntu so I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Is Acer good about warranty repairs? Will they have a problem that I made it dual boot or should I not tell them about that and take it off before I send it in? I don't care what they do to it, I can make backups.

mkfort, Jun 13, 2009
  5. Ausuta

mkfort

Well, I hadn't used the AA1 in a few days, borrowed another laptop, and today I was going to ship it off the texas for repair but decided to boot it up to make sure it was still doing this problem. Well don't you know that it doesn't seem to be doing it any more right now. I'm going to use it for a while and see if it comes back. Problems that aren't reproducible are extremely frustrating, but the last thing I want it to ship it off for warranty and them say there is no trouble with it. Still interested to hear others that have seen this.

mkfort, Jun 18, 2009
  6. Ausuta

mkfort

And I posted too soon. It went to standby and when it came back up the problem was manifesting again. At first it actually looked like the right button was blinking very quickly, then when I pressed it it went solid. I guess I'm just worried that maybe it won't do it for them since it seems a little random, and would like some indication that acer knows this is a problem and has done warranty repairs for it

mkfort, Jun 18, 2009
  7. Ausuta

AspireOverdrive

Did you spill soda or something in it? Kinda sounds like sugar is gumming it up.

If all else fails, you could just get a video of it and send a CD with the video on it with the laptop when you send it in for warranty work.

AspireOverdrive, Jun 18, 2009
  8. Ausuta

mkfort

Nope, no soda or anything. The buttons *feel* perfectly fine. I just got back from the UPS store and shipped it off. Hope all goes well.

mkfort, Jun 18, 2009
  9. Ausuta

Ausuta

Indeed, the most strange thing is that the button is fine. Is not "physically" jammed, it looks like a software problem but my Mandriva jams when I try to boot it without disabling the trackpad.

So, I'm going to send it for repairing. Question: do they erase our personal data? Should I make a backup?

Thanks again.

Ausuta, Jun 18, 2009
  10. Ausuta

mkfort

I don't know, but I made a backup, told them I put linux on there to test it's not a driver / windows problem, and told them they can wipe/do whatever they want to the harddrive if they need to. Sounds like we have the same deal so goodluck

mkfort, Jun 18, 2009
  11. Ausuta

mkfort

Just wanted to update, got a notification today they are shipping it back and should be here on Wed. Looks like Acer is doing a good job of servicing this so hopefully it is fixed and won't happen again.

mkfort, Jun 27, 2009
  12. Ausuta

libssd

I had exactly the same problem with an AA1 110. It was definitely hardware, probably a loose connector for the trackpad cable. Unfortunately, I decided to try and fix it myself, and trashed the keyboard connector. The machine still works, and the trackpad buttons are fine now, but you can't do much without a keyboard. :x

You did the right thing to return it for warranty service. The trackpad on my new D150 is much better, and working fine so far...

libssd, Jun 30, 2009
Ask a Question