Trackpad is dead .. where to get the cable?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by torpor, Nov 12, 2008.

1. torpor

torpor

Well, in the process of disassembling/reassembling my Aspire1, about 20 times in the last 2 weeks, it seems I have damaged the trackpad cable beyond the point of repair .. and consequently my Aspire1 now has no trackpad.

So, I'm on the lookout for a way to replace the ribbon cable, which has been 'crimped' and broken .. does anyone know where to get such a cable? Is anyone offering a cable kit for the Aspire1 anywhere, anyone know?

torpor, Nov 12, 2008
  2. torpor

zipolite

Had any luck finding a replacement yet?

I'm having the same problem..(I too have taken mine apart many times....can now do it blindfolded!)

I tried trimming the end which initially got the touchpad going but no left & right button functionality.

Unfortunately, after pulling it apart at attempt 6,531 nothing works on the touchpad so I now lug around a wireless mouse.. a bit of a nuisance as it reduces the number of available USB ports ...

The irony is that when you factor in the cost of a 60gig harddrive, software, my time and the USB mouse I can now buy the A150 cheaper than the A100 I bought in August!

Ahh, but I would not have been enriched by the experience! (yeah right!)

zipolite, Nov 17, 2008
  3. torpor

torpor

I had no luck finding the part, so for a while I just resorted to lugging around a mouse as you do.. but the last time I opened up my AAO on the weekend, I managed somehow to get the cable jiggled just right to make things work again, and now I have a working trackpad .. though I rue the day I have to open my AAO again! :)

Still, I'm using an external mouse. I think the trackpad is just rotten. ;)

torpor, Nov 26, 2008
  4. torpor

veedub

not sure it this may help.

I broke my ZIF connector to my trackpad on attenpt #1 :oops: when upgrading the RAM. I "fixed" it by making a ball of electrical tape and taping it against the cable and board. I think the cable needs a bit of pressure onto the contacts. Kinda ghetto, but I've had no problems with the trackpad for over 2 months. (knocks on wood) :cool:

good luck!

veedub, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question