Touchscreen Mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Kenshin, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin

Hello all

I recently saw http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/asus-eee-pc-900-touch-kit-now-available.html on JKKMobile, which demonstrates the installation of a touchscreen module for the ASUS EEE PC 900 series laptops. Fortunately, the display size is roughly the same as that used in the Acer Aspire One, so I will be attempting an installation of this module with the Acer Aspire.

I have ordered the part from fido-dido999 on Fleabay, and will be posting pictures of the procedure as I work on it. Has anyone else tried something like this yet?

Kenshin, Jul 22, 2008
  2. Kenshin

rvbcrs

You ARE the man! I really hope it works! If it does I'm going to order mine right away!

Keep us posted!

rvbcrs, Jul 22, 2008
  3. Kenshin

Kenshin

Yup, hope it works. I may have to move some of the screw holes or do something a little crafty to get it to fit, but it should be good. I'll keep you all posted.

Kenshin, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Kenshin

glibdud

Has anyone probed around to find any spots to tap into the USB yet?

glibdud, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Kenshin

Kenshin

Luckily, the USB module on the right-hand side of the board (with the power and everything else) has four solder points directly above the board, so I was able to add solder to these points without having to resort to any strange trickery. I was unable to unscrew the bottom left-hand screw from the board, as that screw is in pretty damned tight. However, I was able to add the entry points and I'll be using that when I solder in the GPS receiver into the unit as well.

I'll be posting pictures as soon as I have confirmation that it's all working!

Kenshin, Jul 23, 2008
  6. Kenshin

loopyoyo

any luck yet man?

loopyoyo, Jul 24, 2008
  7. Kenshin

Davidcowling

props to kenshin..

its got to take some balls to undertake a challenge like that on a lovely, shiny AA1

Davidcowling, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Kenshin

loopyoyo

yea..kenshin is a brave man indeed...actually someone would just need to have a little soldering experience to be able to pull this one off since were only considering a touch panel and not replacing the whole lcd itself....just gotta find those contact points for the usb and your all set....good luck man!

loopyoyo, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Kenshin

bove

I guess such a mod will also get rid of that ridicilous reflective layer covering the screen of the Aspire One?

bove, Jul 26, 2008
  10. Kenshin

Darren198712

I am using a external mouse lol I would love touch screen though that would be so cool but I am not sure how often I would use it lol I think I would use it more tho as the Acer1 mouse is not all that. any pics or updates of the touch screen Acer1

Darren198712, Jul 27, 2008
  11. Kenshin

Davidcowling

the next generation of umpcs will likely have touch screens.

not sure how that will impact the price

Davidcowling, Jul 28, 2008
  12. Kenshin

jesada

I often find myself gripping the one by placing my fingers through the gap between the bottom of the screen and the battery.

During the brief time I had XP installed I'd rotate the screen image using the graphics driver and read documents while holding the computer on its side. If it were a touch screen I could see myself doing this quite regularly.

jesada, Jul 29, 2008
  13. Kenshin

Guest Guest

Guest, Jul 29, 2008
  14. Kenshin

Kenshin

Hey, all. I got the touch kit in today, and I looked over jkkmobile's post on the EEE PC 901 touchkit installation. The touchkit is a perfect fit, I couldn't have asked for a better match. However, the problem will be routing the thin cable, and finding the solder points on the motherboard.

The data cable that is included with the touch kit includes a set of 4 wires in a small ribbon cable, with a red indicator for positive. The other cable is the data cable for the touchscreen ribbon piece, but I cannot figure out where the solder points go on the board for the communications piece.

Once I get documentation on this, I'll be adding it to the system, soldering everything in place, and taking pictures. :)

So far so good. It's a perfect fit, and I'm going to be getting double-sided sticky tape so I can put the touchscreen on. I was afraid that the casing wouldn't fit, but it does. It snaps right into place perfectly.

I'll show you all soon!!!

Kenshin, Jul 29, 2008
  15. Kenshin

Kenshin

Considering this touchkit set me back approximately $40 before shipping (and fido-dido's original invoice showed $20), I'm betting it's pretty damned cheap.

Kenshin, Jul 29, 2008
  16. Kenshin

Davidcowling

damned cheap it is, and im looking forward to the results.

has this guy got any more touch screens for sale???

Davidcowling, Jul 29, 2008
  17. Kenshin

Kenshin

He had like 60 in stock when I last ordered. I'm sure he's still got plenty. ;-)

Kenshin, Jul 29, 2008
  18. Kenshin

zk2008

please keep us updated with pics and a tutorial... along with the overall quality of this mod as it becomes available.... :)

I'm really excited to see how this works out for you.

Thanks!

Zack

zk2008, Jul 29, 2008
  19. Kenshin

Kenshin

This gives me a good excuse to set up a Flickr account. I think I'll do that and post the link to it so everyone can see. Unfortunately, I'm not running Windows XP on it - I'm running Linux, so this will include the touchkit software for that. However, I've never had problems with that. It should be fine.

Will post my success/failures soon!

Kenshin, Jul 29, 2008
  20. Kenshin

nicolas

Nice!

Makes me wanna get my hands on "one" right now!

I'm still in doubt if I should buy it but it seems this might be a fun toy (as I like to fiddle with things like this)...

nicolas, Jul 30, 2008
Ask a Question