Touchscreen friendly GUI + software

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Scorpion1983, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Scorpion1983

Scorpion1983

Hi,

after i had installed my touchscreen, i tried to juse my Windows XP with it. But i realized, that i have not realy touchscreen friendly software installed.

I heard something about "Origami". What is this ?
    What kind of software and plugins are you using with your touchscreen modded AAO?

I´m looking for a Desktop replacement and software like Windows Journal or MS OneNote, chat, games, etc.
    I want to use my touchscreen for my daily study.

For a few tips I would be grateful. ;)

Scorpion1983, Dec 11, 2008
  2. Scorpion1983

PhyrePhox

"Origami Experience" is a program that Microsoft released to make UMPCs (usually without keyboards) work well with touchscreen. I played with it a bit in my Vista desktop; I don't have a touchscreen so it didn't do much for me, but try it out (I think it requires Vista):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...84-c109-4ae7-a973-411c1de2457f&displaylang=en

EDIT: Here's a link to the Origami Project page from Microsoft: http://origamiproject.com/default.aspx

Also, on the first page I linked, there are links at the bottom that may interest you too, under "What Others Are Downloading". Good luck and let us know how it works for you; I don't have an AAO yet, but I plan on installing Vista and will probably try out Origami on it, but I may not get the touchscreen mod for a while.

PhyrePhox, Dec 12, 2008
  3. Scorpion1983

Scorpion1983

Hi,

the problem is, i have Windows XP Prof. . All the tools from you, are for Vista :-(

Scorpion1983, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Scorpion1983

PhyrePhox

PhyrePhox, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Scorpion1983

Scorpion1983

Ok, thx.

I tried it. But my opinion is, that this tools is not realy functional. Could it be, that this project was given up ?

Because it has a lot of bugs. :?

Scorpion1983, Dec 15, 2008
  6. Scorpion1983

PhyrePhox

Well, my opinion of the Vista Origami Pack was that it wasn't very useful either; it offers a "dashboard" interface for easy access to basic info on touchscreen devices, but any advanced actions require using the standard Windows Explorer interface.
    In the end, the Linpus menu system would be just as useful with touchscreen, IMHO.

Let me add further opinion: we are starting to see more and more touchscreen devices, but there aren't any really good touchscreen interfaces yet. I have an iPod Touch, and parts of the touch interface work very well, but it really gets bad when trying to browse the web on sites that were never designed for a touchscreen.

You are ahead of the curve right now; maybe you should develop your own interface, based on what you need it to do. Seeing as how netbooks are expected to sell even more next year, and there are going to be lots more XP touchscreen users, and no real touchscreen interfaces, maybe yours could be the NEXT BIG THING. I'm only partially joking; this is where great ideas start...

PhyrePhox, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question