TouchPad Stopped Working After Windows Update

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by burn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. burn

burn

Hey guys. Im new to the site. I would rate my self as an amateur above-average computer user. Im in Canada.

I bought an Aspire One only a week ago and already having problems. The model I got was the 8GB SSD / 1GB ram / XP home SP3.

When I got the netbook, first think I did was went through and uninstalled all of the crapplications that came pre-loaded on it. Then I did the windows update. Everything was working great for 4-5 days after all that, then last night I had the little yellow shield thing that new updates were available. When I looked in the list of updates it was just 1 XP security fix + a HID touch screen driver update. I italicize this because thats all that I remember it was called.. and I have a feeling that this is the culprit. Once I finished the update I had to reboot and after the reboot the TouchPad has stopped working.

I plugged in a regular corded USB mouse to be able to continue working at getting it working.

- I went to do a system restore and low-and-behold it has been disabled by default - so there is nothing to restore to.

- Then I went into the Device Manager to do a "driver rollback" but after a reboot the touchpad is still not working.

- Then after some googling I found this site, and discovered the Fn+F7 thing. I tried that - still doesnt work. Also note: people mention that it should pop-up on the screen enabled / disabled... but it doesn't. I tried other Fn keys and the volume / contrast / sleep Functions work so I assume its working - just not displaying.

- Then I uninstalled the Synaptics Touchpad Driver from the Add/Remove software. I downloaded the new 11.1.4, but when I try to install it gives an error that the device is not supported. I figured that this was due to the external mouse I was using so I unplugged it / deleted it from the Device Manager and tried again, but I still get the error.

- I then tried to install an updated driver for the TouchPad using .INF files from the Synaptics unzipped folder but there isnt anything in there.

- I then tried to boot from the CD's via external DVD-ROM supplied with the Aspire One to just format / reinstall XP, but the CD does not appear to be bootable. I did press F12 to select the ROM but it just goes onto XP anyways. I even went into the Bios and changed the boot order but it still goes right into XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

burn, Jan 15, 2009
  2. burn

burn

whelp... I took care if it. Working again.

burn, Jan 16, 2009
  3. burn

gqllc007

What was your fix???

I found this

found this fix on another forum. If you restart and install the synaptics 11 driver after this, everything should work fine.

I found a solution. So far this has worked for me.

STEPS:
    1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
    C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
    Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
    "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
    problem should be fixed.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
    If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
    find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second reboot
    will show that your mouse is not working again.

By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
    apparently

gqllc007, Jan 20, 2009
  4. burn

burn

I just loaded the backup.

burn, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question