Touchpad Sensitivity - does it work?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by larrymcg, Dec 15, 2009.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg

I have a AO751H with the Synaptics touchpad driver (V 12.2.4.1) which is the latest on the Acer support site.
    I have located and changed the tap sensitivity to Heavy but the actual tap sensitivity stays the same as when I set it to Light.
    The current sensitivity is way too sensitive.

Does the tap sensitivity adjustment actually work?

--Larry

larrymcg, Dec 15, 2009
  2. larrymcg

larrymcg

I guess no one knows if the sensitivity works or not. It doesn't on my machine.
    So, I'm now using a wireless mouse with the AO751H. Too many false clicks with the touchpad -- too easy to click a button you don't want to click (like Delete).
    Bye,
    Larry

larrymcg, Jan 16, 2010
  3. larrymcg

jnette

This is the one complaint I have so far with the Aspire One... touch pad sensitivity issues, pointer jumping around, things being highlighted without my doing so, unintended clicking, etc.

Sure, a mouse would solve this, but that was my whole intention of purchasing this little fella... to kick back on the couch in a relaxed position (half lying) and browse the net, etc. How do you accomplish that with a mouse? It would fall around, slip away, no flat surface for a mouse pad... defeats the whole purpose of the netbook! I have a macbook pro I use as my primary laptop.. it remains set up at the kitchen table for all my serious work.. but I wanted this netbook so I could get off my hind end once in a while and get nice and comfy on the couch for a change.

Any other suggestions? I redid the settings on the sensitivity... will see if it helps any.

And what is that grey, round "swirly" thing? :? Does that tell you you're out of the tapping regions of the touchpad, or what? I seem to get that swirly thing a LOT.. it's making me batty... :shock: .. what's up with that? Any tips appreciated!

Other than the above.. quite happy with the Acer One.. ordered a 2GB RAM card to upgrade the memory.. will do that next week.

jnette, Jan 31, 2010
  4. larrymcg

larrymcg

Assuming you have the touchpad set up for right handed use, there is a vertical scrolling region on the right side of the touchpad and a horizontal one on the bottom.
    I think you can turn them off.

Sometimes I like the scrolling region and other times it makes me go weird. My hand tends to creep to the right as I do things and eventually I get into the scroll region.

There is another feature of the touchpad that is kind of cool. I forget what it's called. If you are using the Synaptics driver then it has lots of info in the advanced section of the mouse control panel. Anyway, when enabled, you can grab things (like a window title bar or an icon) by double tapping with your finger on the touchpad but you keep your finger down on the second tap. Now you can drag the object. As you get near an edge of the touchpad you can let your finger up and the object will continue to move in the current direction. You stop the object by tapping it once. So you can kind of throw an object and let it float to wherever. I think you can throw them in most any direction!

There are optical mice that don't need a mouse pad. Micro$oft has one that works on carpet! They don't work on clear glass though. So you could use that kind of mouse on the sofa/chair you are sitting on. But the mouse could fall between the cushions!

--Larry

larrymcg, Jan 31, 2010
  5. larrymcg

Swarvey Moderator

The above mentioned Scrolling Regions are what are causing the grey swirly thing. They can be adjusted in the Synaptics Control Panel as to how big they are to avoid getting into them randomly.

There's a few other great features such as Pinch-Zooming.

As for the sensetivity issue, mine is currently set to the first point from the left (Light touch) and I haven't had a single problem with the touchpad. You might want to check your settings for Palm Check

My driver version (under Win 7) for the Synaptics device is v14.0.4.0. I can't remember if I got it from the Australian Acer Support website, or the Synaptics website itself. But I can't say I have any complaints with it.

Swarvey, Feb 5, 2010
  6. larrymcg

jnette

Great tips above ! Thank you !!! Will have to go plsy with the settings some more. ;) Will also have to look for themulti surface mouse.. thaat would help a lot. Also aooreicate the info re the swirly thing ! Thanx again! :)

jnette, Feb 7, 2010
  7. larrymcg

larrymcg

larrymcg, Feb 7, 2010
Ask a Question