Touchpad Scrolling quirks

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Mike C, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Mike C

Mike C

I love the touch pad scrolling feature... But it stops working every now and then, and I can not figure out why. Could the heat from the laptop be affecting it? The palm rest area of the laptop does get warm, but not hot. I've been using it this morning for a few hours now, and after watching a couple online videos I found it stopped working on me again. After trying to read up on possible solutions for the Synaptic pad, it started to work again...

Anyone else having similar issues? Any fixes yet?

Mike C, Aug 16, 2008
  2. Mike C

Mark83

sometimes mine stops working for a few seconds only, if I remove the finger and put it on again it works as it should

Mark83, Aug 16, 2008
  3. Mike C

esaym

Are you sure that you have your finger in the right area? That is always my problem...

esaym, Aug 17, 2008
  4. Mike C

Mike C

Most of the time it works, but I have had it quit working on me a few times. When it does go out, I even open the settings tab and check that I am using the right area. You can enlarge the scroll area, or shrink if it you want. No matter what I do in settings when it goes out, it will not work. Maybe this is something I need to e-mail Synaptic about? When it goes out I can not get it to work for a good 20+ minutes.

Mike C, Aug 17, 2008
  5. Mike C

IslandBookworm

I just had a little problem with the touchpad/trackpad after installing IE7 and a whole bunch of Windows updates. The trackpad would work for a second and then stop for several seconds, and then work for a second etc. It improved greatly after restarting but it's still not responding instantly every single time. I did reduce the sensitivity, so perhaps that is part of it. I also have a lot of the touchpad bells and whistles enabled--perhaps there is a memory limit for the device?

IslandBookworm, Aug 20, 2008
  6. Mike C

dismal

my scroll sometimes stops mid scroll and I start it again right away and it works, that's not so big but my big issue is when I use the trackpad as the left click and hold my finger on it to drag something the mouse cursor itself starts moving to the bottom left of the screen a few pixels at a time, this irritates the heck out of me cause if I'm slowly dragging something the cursor either falls off the icon or makes my drag inacurrate, I've searched for trackpad drift and it seems like a common problem but none of the sites I've checked have an answer for me, does anybody else have this problem with their AA1?

dismal, Sep 1, 2008
  7. Mike C

MobstaJ

One of my only problems with the Aspire one has been the touchpad. The area for scrolling is very small and is set off to the left from the absolute right of the pad. There is about a 3mm space between where the scroll area should be and where it actually is. So you have to get the spot just right or it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is just my hardware or if it is a consistent problem. I've tried older drivers and newer drivers but the result is the same.

MobstaJ, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Mike C

IslandBookworm

Mine is the same. I widened the scroll area to make it more usable, but the gap is still there. Is it a defect? Can Acer fix it?

IslandBookworm, Sep 3, 2008
  9. Mike C

hookem12387

I've also noticed that the scrolling doesnt really work with google chrome which is a shame since it really seems like the browser most suited to netbooks given the little screen realestate it takes up

hookem12387, Sep 3, 2008
  10. Mike C

MobstaJ

Google Chrome scrolling does not work on either of my laptops with Synaptics touchpads. If it is a general synaptics thing it shouldn't be long before there is a fix. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the scrolling area. I wish it were flush with the right side of the pad. It's just not as intuitive as it should be.

MobstaJ, Sep 4, 2008
  11. Mike C

furiousgibbon

the scrolling area is set off the right edge because on the right edge you have middle and right click... top-right does a middle click (open link in new tab in firefox, hooray), and bottom-right performs a right click. I basically never use the physical buttons anymore...

furiousgibbon, Sep 9, 2008
  12. Mike C

bobdole

The scrolling zones are completely customizible in windows.
    You just need to double click on the 'synaptic' icon in the sytem tray, or go to the mouse setting in control panel.
    Look for the tap on the very right to customize synaptic advanced feature.
    Once in that tab, click on settings.
    There's lots of cool feature you can turn on and off, and adjust.

I just tried the 'pinch', it lets you zoom in and out like in iphone. Works on firefox3 browser, not sure if pinch works with other browsers or not.

bobdole, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Mike C

furiousgibbon

i don't think these options are available in linux, the touchpad settings are very basic... does anyone know if the touchpad scroll/tap zones can be customised?

furiousgibbon, Sep 10, 2008
  14. Mike C

MobstaJ

The touchpad is very customizable on my aspire one with XP. I've adjusted all settings but I still have about a 1/4" gap where the touchpad does nothing near right mouse button on the far edge of the touchpad. I've tried increasing the vertical scroll area and turning the tap corner function areas off but to no avail. I hope this is just a driver problem that will be fixed in the near future. I have tried installing older synaptics drivers but had the same problem. Maybe I just have some bad hardware but it sounds like others are having the same problem.

MobstaJ, Sep 15, 2008
  15. Mike C

scudder2u

dismal, I have only had my AAO for a few days and have the same problem with drift. I notice it most when holding down the scroll down arrow ... the cursor slowly drifts off, down and to the left... I have to keep moving it back.

Anybody find a solution?

scudder2u, Oct 18, 2008
  16. Mike C

scudder2u

Have any of you noticed your cursor just drifts off? My cursor drifts down and to the left when trying to hold the cursor on an item (scrollbar arrows). If I am the only one I am going to send it back while I still can.

Thanks

scudder2u, Oct 24, 2008
  17. Mike C

Fred8128

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. On Windows XP, the scolling function just stops working for periods of several minutes. Everything else still works but it is impossible to trigger scrolling, until it magically starts working again. I know it's not an issue of using the right area of the touchpad because, as someone else did, I also went into the settings to make sure I was using the right area, but it still wouldn't initiate a scroll. It is very anoying to have a feature that only works intermittently, I hope a fix will be available asap.
    By the way, when scrolling is working for me, it works fine in Google Chrome, as does the pinch to zoom.

Fred8128, Feb 3, 2009
  18. Mike C

jackluo923

Maybe you have to turn off the "edge motion' feature off. When the touchpad detects your finger is on the edge of the track pad, the software automatically moves to the direction of the edge.

For example, if you're dragging a icon from the right of the screen to the left, you might notice that your trackpad is too small to move it through the entire screen. In this case, you can just drag and leave your finger on the edge and the cursor will move automatically.

I believe this is so called "drifting" "problem" that you're describing. If you don't like this feature (i personally find it very useful), you can easily turn it off using the mouse driver.

jackluo923, Feb 4, 2009
  19. Mike C

LeonHart

Same problem here!

Anyone know how to fix the temporary switch off of the scroll?

Thanks in advance

LeonHart, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question