Touchpad Problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by starkes, Aug 9, 2008.

1. starkes

starkes

Is anyone else having problems with the touchpad? It seems like a software issue, but i'm not sure.

- my left mouse button stops working or works intermittantly. Often if it seems to work properly, if you click and hold and try to drag a window, the window will end up being left behind at some point along the path because the mouse button unclicks on its own
    - right mouse button works always unless....
    - whole touchpad stops working, or works with gaps in the input, or...
    - the mouse flutters around the screen like its on crack

no problems with any usb mice or with the keyboard. and it seems like a restart can be the fix but most often isnt.
    i haven't heard anybody rant about their problems like this, which makes me wonder if something is wrong on my end. because for me, the touchpad not working is the most annoying issue, aside from how it hangs pretty hardcore now and then when you open firefox or another decently-sized program.

anyone else having this? or do i have a defective unit?

starkes, Aug 9, 2008
  2. starkes

oviron

I am seeing the same kind of problems and was wondering if there is a driver update that we need to install.

I am also having problems with the touchpad settings. It seems as if the movements on the touchpad are very sensitive. If I decrease the setting at all, the mouse rarely moves again. Since so many people seem to like this machine, I figure that here must be a problem with the one I just bought.

oviron, Aug 11, 2008
  3. starkes

Beldar

No problems here.

Beldar, Aug 11, 2008
  4. starkes

jesada

Hmm...mine is functional but I can't seem to get in to change the scroll/tap settings.

Downloaded a Synaptics touchapd program but it gives me an error when I try to use it that: SMHConfig must be set to 'true' in xorg.conf. But making that change in xorg.conf doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any Ideas? (hope i'm not hijacking the thread)

jesada, Aug 12, 2008
  5. starkes

gerarddelafas

I started a live USB of Pendrivelinux distro and the touchmap doesn't work.
    Then I try to reinstall linpus lite on AA1 but the touchpad is DEAD! In previous installations it always worked! (the only difference is that now I have added 1 GB RAM)
    here is the full post: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1178

gerarddelafas, Aug 12, 2008
  6. starkes

retsaw

I think it should be set to "on" instead of "true"

retsaw, Aug 12, 2008
  7. starkes

glibdud

Have you taken the A1 apart (to add RAM or some such)? It seems a lot of people have little hardware issues after doing so, and it often ends up being an internal cable that didn't get properly re-seated.

glibdud, Aug 12, 2008
  8. starkes

oviron

I finally got the touchpad to work reasonably well via the Settings window. I noticed that the cursor would act normal until the wireless icon popped up and then it would get erratic.

However, now I have the problem that whenever I run Firefox, it eventually locks up. Doesn't matter whether I am connected thru the wireless or not. SOmetimes it will run for a few minutes and sometimes it locks up as soon as it comes up. Also, wireless connections are hit or miss.

I think this machine has hardware problems and I am going to return it to Circuit City for another one and try again.

oviron, Aug 12, 2008
  9. starkes

baseline

I had similar problems and they all went away when I disconnected the power supply and removed the battery.
    Hope this helps.

cheers

baseline, Aug 12, 2008
  10. starkes

oviron

What do you mean by disconnecting the power supply? Do you mean the AC adapter? I'll try this when I get home and reply back. Thanks.

oviron, Aug 12, 2008
  11. starkes

baseline

Hi,

That's exactly what i mean, followed by the removal of the battery.

cheers

baseline, Aug 12, 2008
  12. starkes

BenjaminChiloe

I have a more serious problem..touchpad definetely stopped working while I was setting sound staff according to the Http://help.ubuntu.com( AcerAspireOne/ guide...and I am only using an usb mouse now..Has anyone happened a similar situation?

BenjaminChiloe, Oct 2, 2008
  13. starkes

Poldie

Yes, I've got wireless working and update the audio and now the touchpad/buttons are completely dead.

Poldie, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question