Touchpad is impossible to use (Linpus)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by beats1234, Sep 29, 2008.

1. beats1234

beats1234

I consider myself a touchpad expert. Seriously.

I can't get used to this thing at all under Linpus!! The cursor moves too quickly to get anything done and it's too sensitive to accidental palm contact while typing. Also, while scrolling webpages vertically, I constantly end up somehow "gesturing" for firefox3 to either go back a couple pages or increase the text size a zillion times (which freezes the computer for 3 minutes)! I have tried the right-click menu settings under both "mouse" and "touchpad", setting speed and acceleration to the lowest levels. I can't really disable the touchpad because I don't type anything but random web addresses and google searches, so disabling the touchpad would be more of a nuisance.

Does anyone know anything that I'm missing, or know of some software similar to Synaptic settings for Linpus?

Thanks!

Edit: I noticed that under "touchpad" in the settings, I lost "acceleration" and "speed" with the first update. I don't remember the touchpad being this hard to use for the day I owned it (before updating). Maybe the "mouse" settings don't affect the touchpad? Under my "touchpad" settings I have only "sensitivity" under the "general" tab. I believe that "speed" and "acceleration" were there before. I saw a guy in amazon complaining about the same problem when I was searching for the solution to mine..

beats1234, Sep 29, 2008
  2. beats1234

RockDoctor

There's a fix for Firefox. Goto http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries Look up mousewheel. Then enter about:config in the address bar and modify the settings it to your liking.

RockDoctor, Sep 29, 2008
  3. beats1234

beats1234

thanks for the firefox fix: mousewheel horizontal is not set to do anything with back/forward history except with "halt key" (?). well, I fixed it, we'll see. Anyone have ideas for the speed of the cursor using the touchpad? Mouse speed is totally fine btw.

beats1234, Oct 1, 2008
  4. beats1234

dattaway

I don't remember having problems with touchpads until this year. I've used them for over 10 years and this new generation seems quite twitchy. I click on something and the cursor often jumps onto something lethal before the click engages. *ooops!* I just killed a window!

dattaway, Oct 1, 2008
  5. beats1234

dkaile

As an interim solution you can try:

Alt+F2
    sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for the line
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    and change it to
    #Option "SHMConfig" "on"

save file and reboot. (this will disable gsynaptics)

Revert that change when you want.

It Works For Me.

dkaile, Oct 1, 2008
  6. beats1234

Yosser_UK

Have you used Live update yet? I was amazed at how much better the track pad responded after the update and reboot.

Yosser_UK, Oct 1, 2008
  7. beats1234

rbil

Hit ALT-F2 and run this command:

syndaemon -i 2 -d

This will automatically turn off the touchpad while you are typing and turn it on in 2 seconds after you stop typing. Change the 2 to whatever time you prefer.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question