Touch screen

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

Does your computer have a touch screen?

When I bought my computer I decided not to get a touch screen, because I didn't see the use for it. Am I missing out or did I decide correctly.

SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. SirJoe

IcyBC

I prefer to not have a touch screen computer since I can't stand finger prints on it. My son has one with touch screen and so far he isn't very happy with all the marks on his screen :)

IcyBC, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. SirJoe

Krissttina Isobe

I too prefer not to have touch screen for my computer. I like using the keyboard. But I guess it comes in handy for many who might not have keyboard knowledge. ;)

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 26, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. SirJoe

SirJoe

Thank you for your quick responses, I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks this way. I find that on a tablet a touch screen is indispensable but not on a laptop.

SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

I had 2 laptops with touchcreen capability on it, but sold one of them recently and now just have one. That's about how much I use or need it. The only time I ever use touch screen functions are when I'm at the supermarket using a self-checkout machine, or if I'm on my cell phone. Those are the only two times that it ever really has a place for me with things. For anything else, I'm on the keyboard...except if I have to use one of the laptops to grab a customer's digital signature, or if I have to use a stylus pen with a VM and a virtual netmeeting to draw a diagram or layout. You can use the stylus pen or any substitute for it to avoid placing any smudges on the screen. I still prefer laptops without the touch screen usually, because having a touch-sensitive mouse in my screen for an extra $100 every time I want to buy a mobile computing device doesn't always make me eager to buy one. For games and such I'm sure it's good, but I only need one for certain occasions if at all, and that's it. Even for what I use it for on rare occasions, it really isn't necessary and is just a convenience over using the mouse to draw the same diagram or attaching a device for a customer to provide their signature.

IBMPC8088, Feb 28, 2016
  6. SirJoe

SirJoe

Thank you for sharing your experience, I think that the laptops with a touch screen were a passing fad. They don't really serve a practical use.

SirJoe, Mar 1, 2016
    Delibrythe likes this.
  7. SirJoe

Delibrythe

I completely agree! When thye first started showing up on the market I knew it was just a fad to reel people in. Sure they are good for tablets but that's about it. There is nothing compared to having the full functionality of a keyboard and mouse. Plus, not having to deal with those messy fingerprints is a bonus.

Delibrythe, Mar 1, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  8. SirJoe

vinaya

My computer does not have touch screen. When I am ready to get a new laptop, i will be trying 2 in 1, laptop cum tablet, with a touch screen. Since most of my work is done through keyboard, I don't need a touch screen but I want to experience touch screen in laptop

vinaya, Mar 2, 2016
  9. SirJoe

Corzhens

This thread makes me realize why my husband is not totally sold out with a laptop. He is a quick typist with no look, he calls it touch system. With the phone, it would take him a lifetime to type one line of message. With the laptop's keyboard, he feels unease and sometimes even annoyed when his fingers would make a mistake in typing.

My laptop has no touch screen and I probably would appreciate if it has one. But for my husband, it is a cinch that he abhors touchscreen typing.

Corzhens, Mar 2, 2016
  10. SirJoe

djtech

You're not missing out on a whole lot. Considering that Microsoft went back on its big push for touch, I would say that the market and therefore the majority of users agree with you. Personally, having a touchscreen wouldn't be too bad, but I don't want multiple options, I torture my systems a lot as it is without a touch screen entering the fray.

djtech, Mar 2, 2016
  11. SirJoe

Jonah_JJ

I bought a laptop with a touch screen to try it out. But then I saw the possibility of how the function could be used as more and more businesses will begin to incorporate it into their options. For instance: I was buying a house and I had to sign documents and it was terrific to be able to use my fingertip to sign right on my screen. Since I didn't have a setup with a printer it was so fast and easy to see the docs, sign them, send them back. I asked my real estate agent why they use this docusign program and she told me that more and more clients had touchscreens either on their phones or now on computers. It made me think that businesses would start incorporating it as a choice. And if that was going to happen, it would be helpful to me to have the option. I know it was great for me during the purchase of my home!

Jonah_JJ, Mar 9, 2016
  12. SirJoe

hafiz93

I prefer to use the keyboard and mouse for my laptop, so I don't think that I need a touch screen. I can see why some people like it, it's probably beneficial for portable uses, but it's just not for me personally. And also, I even hate when there's dust on my screen, so I definitely won't like it if my screen is all greased up by my fingers.

hafiz93, Mar 22, 2016
  13. SirJoe

SirJoe

This might be true but why don't they just use a tablet. If it just to sign a document, it's easier to walk around with a tablet then a laptop.

SirJoe, Mar 22, 2016
Ask a Question