Touch Screen Specifically for AOD150/250

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AOD150BLACK, Jul 1, 2009.

1. AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK, Jul 1, 2009
  2. AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK

Here's another specifically for the D150/250 from fidohub, aka hodatech. It includes 4 very good videos showing the installation (not sure I like the hub placement, I might try a different placement):

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-1-ACER-ASPIR...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

And here's another one, from a newer seller (has good feedback so far):

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-1-Acer-Aspir...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

There are also kits for the 10.1" Lenovo, so it looks like the wait is over for those of us with 10.1" screens.

AOD150BLACK, Jul 1, 2009
  3. AOD150BLACK

jerryt

It would appear that only the Fidohub kit comes with the USB harnesses to use extra USB devices with the hub. Kind of hard to come by after the purchase.

jerryt, Jul 1, 2009
  4. AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK

How can you tell? It looks like the same basic setup on each. I noticed a couple of the ads claim better usb hubs than "other kits", but I don't know how to test these claims without purchasing and testing each kit.

I have to decide which to order by monday. I'm leaning towards the Fidohub kit, mainly due to the successes I've read about using their kits, and their large amount of positive feedback on ebay.

AOD150BLACK, Jul 1, 2009
  5. AOD150BLACK

jerryt

The words "USB Harness" in contents and pictures in ad.

Package Content

Touch Screen Panel
    Touch-Hub Controller Board by EETI www.eeti.com
    Multi-Function Stylus
    HUB Harness x 1
    Camera Harness x 1
    USB Harness x 2
    Shock Absorber Rubber x 4
    Rubber Insulation adhesive x 1
    Quick Installation Guide
    Driver CD

jerryt, Jul 2, 2009
  6. AOD150BLACK

wickedhawk

wickedhawk, Jul 6, 2009
  7. AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK

I didn't order it because it is a one size fits all for 10.2 and 10.1 inch screens. Joe from tech support at HodaTech (fidohub on Ebay) told me in an email a couple of months ago that the 10.2 inch touch screen models do not fit the 10.1 inch screens.

I don't know if there is something different about this one that makes it fit the AOD150/250, you might want to email the seller and ask some specific size related questions, and perhaps ask if they have installed one themselves.

AOD150BLACK, Jul 7, 2009
  8. AOD150BLACK

jesus_jones

I had a resistive touchscreen in my 8.9 and it was....eh fun and stuff but I'm really holding out for a capacitive one a-la I phone and ....pretty much all new touchscreen technology. they're just better. anyone know of one for the 10.1

jesus_jones, Jul 8, 2009
  9. AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK

I decided to go with the fidohub kit, and I'm glad I did. Ordered on Tuesday morning, received it on Thursday morning, all the way from Taiwan, and I thought newegg was fast! And that included my ordering through Ebay without updating my shipping address, I just emailed fidohub, and they happily shipped it to my requested address.

One snag during installation, the wires soldered to the hub and going to the touch screen itself were about 3/8" too short. I tried every means of routing, and it always ended up short. I only plan on using one of the usb harnesses that comes with this kit, so I used an inch of wire from one of them, and spliced it into the touch screen harness, and problem solved.

At this point, I have a slightly visible seam along the center of the top edge, and near the bottom on either side. Not really noticeable, and I am not sure I'm comfortable trying to close this "gap" (not really big enough to be called that). I would rather live with it than risk cracking the touch screen glass.

The D150 doesn't have much internal room, so you have to place the touch screen hub on top of the memory stick. I don't like this solution due to the possibility of heat buildup between these two components, but I'm not sure theres a better way without modding the case in some way.

Once installation was complete, I placed the included CD in my PC and loaded the drivers over the network. I ran each step of the calibration process, and started drawing away. As mentioned above, be sure you hold the targets during calibration until they turn blue.

I'm very happy with this mod, and would definitely recommend it to anyone comfortable enought to take apart some screws and route some wires.

*EDIT* Installed the default drivers on Windows7, ran the configurations, and it's working fine. Tried the TabletPC handwriting recognition, and it works good too.

AOD150BLACK, Jul 24, 2009
Ask a Question