Torrents on Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bjaset, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bjaset

bjaset

I'm interested in investing in an Aspire One but I haven't found any onfo about if it's possible to run bit torrent clients on it.

Could any One-owner inform me, and if it's possible if it's decent?

bjaset, Jul 26, 2008
  2. bjaset

charmles

Any Linux can run torrents on it (I have a Asus WLan router than can run (poorly) also torrents).
    I think that there was transmission on the linpus installation, if not enable the advanced mode and install something else.
    Do note that using bittorrent with the internal memory card is not really a good idea as torrent file are hashed and created from tiny bits of information, this will seriosly shorten the life span of the storage device.

charmles, Jul 26, 2008
  3. bjaset

stiopa

yeap im using transmission but i installed it by my self, i dont remember if i use yum or find rpm on the net but anyway it`s working :)

stiopa, Jul 26, 2008
  4. bjaset

coin

"yum install transmission" is how I installed it, worked fine and it is the latest version.

coin, Jul 28, 2008
  5. bjaset

Davidcowling

theres frostwire for linux. thats a P2P program but can handle .torrent files as well.

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  6. bjaset

Iluvatar

I'm using µTorrent through wine, works like a charm :D

Iluvatar, Jul 31, 2008
  7. bjaset

Raido

Transmission here, seems to work fine. Also has the advantage of not putting several gigantic windows open on such a tiny screen... Simple & lightweight, therefore netbook-style.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 31, 2008
  8. bjaset

Mangod

Can someone please make a "tutorial" on how to install Transmission on Linpus? I'm new to the world of Linux.

Mangod, Aug 1, 2008
  9. bjaset

Raido

Mangod,

try alt-F2 (opening a command window),

type 'xterm' (if it ain't already there), press return

Type 'su'
    type password

type 'yum -y install transmission'

(Wait... :) about five minutes, status should be shown in xterm window messages)

after complete, type 'exit' twice

You should be able to get to Transmission from the right-click-on-desktop menu then.

To install other programs, just follow this procedure and type the programname instead of transmission, like 'yum -y install ppracer' etc.

That should do it, I guess.

Good luck, R

Raido, Aug 1, 2008
  10. bjaset

jackluo923

jackluo923, Aug 26, 2008
  11. bjaset

aspireonehk

hi hope this may help
    I installed opera on aao and it has a builtin torrent download plugin, so no need sepreat app to download torrent files.
    when u click a torrent file in from the browser it will download automatically using its own dowwnload manager.
    hope it helps

aspireonehk, Aug 27, 2008
  12. bjaset

hombrelobo

hombrelobo, Aug 27, 2008
  13. bjaset

Phil_Urich

Since I already installed kdebase, I just went for KTorrent; better and less evil than µTorrent, and with a far shorter history of critical security vulnerabilities too :) But Deluge is a good choice and it's in the repos too; Transmission is a bit too simplistic for my own uses but I can't at all fault the fans of it (though it, too, has had revisions which deviated for awhile from the bittorrent spec).

If you want something really fast and lightweight for the AA1 though, go for ctorrent or rtorrent :) they're both in the repos and actually I'm rather a fan.

edit: when I said "it, too" I actually was referring to the mainline clients (µTorrent and the "official" one) but forgot to say that, heh.

Phil_Urich, Sep 11, 2008
  14. bjaset

Guest Guest

I use azureus, which is available if you search in the add/remove programs section.

Guest, Sep 17, 2008
  15. bjaset

jonesen4go

i have an aspire one running xp.
    i run bittornado to download torrents and it works just fine.

jonesen4go, Sep 30, 2008
  16. bjaset

Blingin2Mingin

As I don't tend to download really large files on the AA1 (Linpus), I tend to use a lightweight command line tool, namely the Aria2 download manager.
    It handles everything I need. The supported protocols are HTTP(S), FTP, BitTorrent (DHT, PEX, MSE/PE), and Metalink.
    It also uses very little memory the Aria2 site says :
    "The physical memory usage is typically 3MB(normal HTTP/FTP downloads) to 6MB(BitTorrent downloads). CPU usage in BitTorrent with download speed of 1500KB/sec is around 6%."
    It is available in the package manager.
    It also has a number of GUIs available the best of which I think is Aria2fe which is just a Qt front end it's available here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/aria2fe/
    The main downsides are the lack of a scheduler although throttling is possible if you set it up first, it also lacks a built in IP filter for Blocklists
    If you need those I suggest Ktorrent or Deluge.

Finally If all you need is a simple easy to use client why not just install the Opera browser as it has got email and bit torrent built in, and for my money it is the still the best browser available on any platform.

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 12, 2008
  17. bjaset

dj_steve

ive used azuras (vuze as its now known- works a charm)

dj_steve, Oct 13, 2008
  18. bjaset

Darryl

try deluge in the package manager

Darryl, Oct 13, 2008
  19. bjaset

stevo

Note that in Deluge and probably many other clients, you can set the download file space as "pre-allocated" (I think this is default in Deluge) to prevent fragmentation. It grabs disk space the size of the incoming file(s), so all the chunks end up inside that space, rather than all over the place.

stevo, Dec 12, 2008
  20. bjaset

Niro

I have an A150, with Utorrent and i've been downloading a large amount of things with no problem. Utorrent it's not slow if configured right and the best part is that it's not a heavy as others.

Niro, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question