Tonights progress: installing Open Office Draw and Math

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

Managed to install the drawing utility and the equation editor that comes with openoffice.

From advanced mode right click menu, install-remove software, find and tick the two packages

The installation required a large download and some time to complete. When it was done, there was the the usual frigging around, plus a couple of novelties.

Im getting real familiar with .config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml nowadays. I imagine you are too. As usual you have to edit it to put th enew icons on the desktop.

The .desktop files you have to add are found in /usr/share/applications. I'm getting quite used to parking the terminal there as well.

The .desktop files need to be edited to remove %U in the exec= line ( a common problem ) and change the name= field to something shorter.

%U also gets added to all the openoffice icons, so all the .desktop files need to be opened and have %U removed from the exec line.

As noted by others here, the update also kills the nice Acer provided desktop icons for Writer etc. you get the generic, fuzzy, upscaled openoffice ones instead.

My suggested workaround is to forget about the .desktop files and add the icon= tag to the entry in the group-app.xml file instead, with the path to the icons you want to use. Alternatively I imagine you can edit the icon= line in the .desktop file, or replace the icon it points to with the icon you want to use.

I'm not sure which is the best way about it. Would welcome any input.

And I will say again: installing applications on Linpus Lite is far more work than it should be! That's what comes of trying to hack an what amounts to an embedded system I guess. Still, I am starting to get the hang of it.

rjm, Aug 30, 2008
  2. rjm

matt_birchall

OK (newb at this game) so I installed OO Draw using add/remove progs. No errors observed :)
    How do I run this thing?

matt_birchall, Apr 28, 2009
Ask a Question