To Tiny XP or not to Tiny XP...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by j_z, Oct 30, 2008.

1. j_z

j_z

Hey everyone- new to the forum and after doing a bunch of research I am about to pick up the one (1gig, 160g, XP). I have had great success using the eXPerience XP versions on older laptops and was thinking of installing tinyxp rev09 via an 8gig U3 sandisk cruzer for the AAO. Have searched the board but I am just curious to know how many people have done this and if it is even necessary.

So what do you think? Should I just leave it alone, or will I get a big performance upgrade by wiping her clean and doing a fresh tinyxp install?

What I would really love to do is run OSX on it but from what I can find that seems like it just doesn't work.

Anyway any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

j_z, Oct 30, 2008
  2. j_z

rory

os x works great
    apart from sleep and maybe the internal mic, everything works. wifi doesnt work, but its an easy switch to a dell wlan card for that to work without drivers in windows and os x (os x recognises it as an airport card)
    back on topic, I dont think its necessary to cut down xp before nstalling, especially on the 160gb version. some people have reported that it runs slower because of missing components.

rory

rory, Oct 30, 2008
  3. j_z

cliffdesu

if you have 160 gigs i wouldn't go tiny xp.
    I'm using tinyxp on my 8g SDD.. It works pretty nicely. I have random lag spikes (once every few minutes), but i believe thats due to my 512MB RAM.

cliffdesu, Oct 30, 2008
  4. j_z

goofball

Why wouldn't you do it if you had a big hard drive?
    the key is to have a slim leaner OS. It will run faster without extra junk installed. The easiest way to not have OS bloat is to not install it in the first place.

goofball, Oct 30, 2008
  5. j_z

Guest Guest

My post on TinyXP on AAO is on my request deleted because Linking to warez is not allowed. But during the discussion on that post even those with a 120Gb hdd noticed a speedier OS with the specific TinyXP, and a lot of others also confirmed that this was a faster XP than a full install. I have to say that this TinyXP was tuned all the way (except EWF or FBWF). Why used the TinyXP? because of the lack of speed on the SSD. So, with your HDD you should not have the same initial lack of speed. But just try and let us know what your experience is with TinyXP. Tip: go to the link in my signature and read about the OS possibilities for the AAO. It will be a help for you I guess. ;)

greets Ron

Guest, Oct 30, 2008
  6. j_z

j_z

Hey guys- thanks for all the feedback- Once I get my AAO I will check it out and see if it is nessasary to do the tinyxp install.

BTW- the Tinyxp I have used in the past was the 1st one available on that 50 in one eXPerience DVD (what an amazing release, huge shout out to eXPerience) this was before any of the revisions were released- if I do go ahead with a tinyxp install is rev 09 the way to go? I have searched and found mixed things about this.

@ Rory- My primary use for this netbook is going to be skyping overseas so the internal mic and wifi are crucial. Also I watched this video on youtube which showed OSX running super slow and that scared me.

If it could be done with the wifi and the mic and run reasonablly fast, I would take the time to do it as I love OSX.

Cheers,

Jon

j_z, Oct 30, 2008
  7. j_z

j_z

Picked up my AAO yesterday (White/160gig/6 cell) and it is awesome! Removed all the crap that came with it and it seams to be running pretty fast so I am not sure if I am going to wipe her clean and do the Tiny XP install. Going to give it a week of testing and then decide... Would love to hear what rev. of Tiny Xp people are using and what they recommend.

Cheers,

Jon

j_z, Nov 1, 2008
  8. j_z

Yaniel

my tiny xp installation is running much quicker than a standard xp install i had before. definitely worth it.

Yaniel, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question