To install or not to install? That is the question...(Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Locust, May 8, 2016.

1. Locust

Locust

First of all my laptop has been through a lot. I mean it. I don't know if it would survive a full blown change of software what with having a million differnt programmes installed on it.
    I can't even begin to guess how many of these programmes would work on Windows , because I hear a lot of bad reviews about it.
    The very fact that there was a mandatory upgrade from any and all Windows software (licenced and unlicenced) to the full version of Windows 10 seemed a little dodgy to me so I opted out. Nothing is ever free after all.

So now that a little time has passed since the upgrade, and the offer to upgrade still stands, I'd like to ask all of you if you had any major problems with W10.
    Such as major glitches and bugs and other problems that messed with your work on your computer.

Locust, May 8, 2016
  2. Locust

Vash

I assume you are on Windows 7 ?

If Windows 7 meets your current need, I see no reason to upgrade unless you are just very curious about the new OS. That's said, if it is not broken, don't fix it.

I was on my 7-year-old Dell Vostro 1500 when the offer of free upgrade to Windows 10 came. I took it and upgraded. There was no major issue. I had some old software too, including Office XP Professional (2002 version) and it worked fine. Months later the laptop died on me (it has nothing to do with the upgrade).

Then I purchased a Surface Pro 4 which came with Windows 10 pre-installed. As a long time user of Windows 7 (since its beta), I quite like Windows 10. (Note: I have never used Windows Vista nor Windows 8... yep I skipped all the bad things, haha). But in your case, you have too many things at stake (a million different programs installed on it. licensed and unlicensed... as you said yourself). I would either skip the upgrade or do a clean installation before the upgrade if I were you.

Vash, May 16, 2016
  3. Locust

Locust

Yes! I have a Windows 7 operating system, it has been running top-notch in my work, no proplems there.
    Thanks for the input! According to what you said I might as well try the W10 on the next laptop I buy and start correlating the programs one by one from there (this one is pretty old anyway).

You dodged some bullets right there!

Locust, May 17, 2016
  4. Locust

Corzhens

My laptop is running on Windows 7 and since there are no issues so why fix it when it ain't broke? But honestly, the laptop is my official computer in the office and what's inside are controlled by the office. So it is Windows for now. We are in the process of buying a new computer to replace our home desktop that is running on Windows XP, kinda old already, huh. And I'm sure that my husband would install Windows 10 just to get a feel of it. So now I can relax and learn the issues in Windows 10 soon.

Corzhens, May 18, 2016
  5. Locust

nytegeek

I disagree. I think if you are running Windows 7 you should upgrade straight to 10 or jump ship entirely with a new OS. There are a few exceptions to this, hardware, business use, specialized software, but most people should probably just upgrade or switch to something new.

nytegeek, May 18, 2016
Ask a Question