Tips on removing SATA connector from motherboard...

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Chef Borjan, May 19, 2009.

1. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Hi there..

I have a friend motherboard, so I thought about trying to desolder the Sata connector from this A150 motherboard, that way if I come across a A110 motherboard, I might be able to pop it on and stick a hard drive in...

How is the best way to desolder this? I've tried applying heat to the small solder holes on the underside, but no luck on being about to suck these small pieces of solder up!

Chef Borjan, May 19, 2009
  2. Chef Borjan

jerryt

Real hard to remove without damaging. Normally they use a hot air machine.

You could try, remove the two screws from the Sata connector, attach a weight to the connector, inverting the board heat area with a plumbers propane torch or in an oven and heat until the connector falls off. If you use a propane torch turn the flame down as low as it will go and heat the area with the flame a few inches away from the board, moving side to side so all the Sata solder joints melt at the same time.

Here is a link to A110 motherboards for sale. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-one-1 ... 7C294%3A30

jerryt, May 19, 2009
  3. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Once again Jerryt, many thanks!

Chef Borjan, May 20, 2009
  4. Chef Borjan

jerryt

I soldered a Sata connector to a AOA110 motherboard I was repairing last week. I needed to test the motherboard and sim reader but did not have a SSD to test with. So I soldered one end of a standard Sata cable to the MB and powered the hard drive with an external power supply. Worked perfectly.

jerryt, May 20, 2009
Ask a Question