Tip: Set Terminal Prompt

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rbil, Sep 25, 2008.

1. rbil

rbil

By default the command prompt in the Terminal in Linpus is using the basename of the current working directory. I like to see tne whole path (the current working directory) displayed in the prompt so I don't forget where I am. Here's how to change the prompt:

edit .bashrc:

Code:
    mousepad .bashrc
    After the # .bashrc line, add:

Code:
    #Set prompt with current working directory
    PS1="\u@\h: \w\$ "
    Save and exit.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 25, 2008
  2. rbil

scottro

We're having fun with these. Actually, in bash 3 that doesn't work quite as well as it used to, I've forgotten what the problem is. (How's that for vagueness--disagree with you and refuse to say what it is that I'm disagreeing with.)
    At any rate, what *I* like is

PS1="\[\033[1;34m\]\u@\[\033[1;32m\]\h \[\033[1;36m\]\${PWD##*/} $ \[\033[0m\]"

Which adds all sorts of colors as well. :) However, the point I wanted to make in this case is that I find that rather than using \w, I find that ${PWD##*/} works better for me--ahhh, that's the issue, (I think). Doing \w refers to $HOME as ~.

I have a page on playing with these at
    http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-prompt.html

Once again, I think you're doing good things posting these, and please don't take my additions as saying anything's wrong with them. :)

scottro, Sep 25, 2008
  3. rbil

rbil

No problem. :) To each his own. Personally I like the fact that the prompt displays ~ for home. Then a newbie should learn that cd ~ gets them back home in a hurry. :) As to coloured prompts ... not my cup of tee. Guess my eyeballs are too old for that in a terminal. And as I stated originally, I like a prompt that shows me exactly where I am.

Cheers.

PS. For those interested in trying a new prompt, but not committing to it for every session which is what happens if you place it in .bashrc, you can simply copy and paste the PS1= line posted in these messages into a terminal and instantly see how the new prompt will look/work. Close the terminal and reopen a new one and you're back to the standard Linpus prompt.

rbil, Sep 25, 2008
  4. rbil

scottro

That's actually a bit funny. The reason I tend to go with colored prompts these days is because of my own aging eyes. :)

(It's also the reason I decided I wanted scottro instead of ~, it's easier to see.)

scottro, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question