TinyXP on Virtualbox

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wolydarg, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Wolydarg

Wolydarg

Hi everyone, I looked around for something similar to this thread and didn't find anything, so here goes:

I'm currently running Linpus Lite on my AAO, and it's working fine. But there are some small minor stuff that I have to do with my desktop (running XP) due to compatibility issues. I'd like to be able to just something like Ron[nl]'s TinyXP and be able to open up virtualbox and get it over with.

I've looked on aspireonesoftware.wordpress.com but the instructions they gave there involved wiping everything on my SSD, and wasn't erally what I was looking for. I'm quite at a lost, can anyone help?

Wolydarg, Nov 28, 2008
  2. Wolydarg

jhedrotten

i installed virtual box on my linpus follwing the instructions that could be found here: http://macles.blogspot.com

and then i downloaded tinyxp rev09 [not ron's version because it is unnecesary for what we are going to do is a virtual machine]

the option i chose is the unattended installation, created a 2GB dynamic virtual hard disk for it, tiny xp bare without driverpacks(well it's virtual so it's not necessary, VB will take care of drivers) and without Microsoft Media Player, IE and Outloook [not a M$ fan here] and it works like a charm internet connection works through NAT [without tweaking] and it acts like as if it was networked to my linpus for i have setup some shared folders. when on full screen, it looks as if you have windows xp on your aspire one.

check my screen shot here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=410&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=130

if you have questions, i'll be glad to help you.

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  3. Wolydarg

Wolydarg

Ok, so I downloaded TinyXP rev 9 and installed virtualbox via macles' guide, but I'm a little confused here.

I have a 8gb SDHC card on my left slot to integrate into my Linpus SSD, and I got another 8gb SDHC card on my right slot that I wanted to install XP on. I've been playing aroudn with virtualbox for about 10 minutes now trying to figure out how to make that happen...

Wolydarg, Nov 30, 2008
  4. Wolydarg

jhedrotten

first you might want to create a virtual hard disk first that you will place on the 8gb sdhc on the right. then you need to locate the tiny xp rev09 iso, and mount it with VB. Im at work right now, i will be able to give precise instructions later.:D

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  5. Wolydarg

Wolydarg

Ok, so I have TinyXp installed on my SD card (took a loooong time) but it's working fine it seems.

I've disabled system restore, had it formatted to FAT when prompted during install, what else do I need to do to optimize it for the SSD?

Also, VirtualBox or TinyXP don't like to play nice with compiz and turns off my ability to switch screens and prevents me from looking on opera and such, is there a fix for this?

But otherwise, this thing is working fine, TinyXP is purdy awesome.

Wolydarg, Dec 1, 2008
  6. Wolydarg

tonecas

oh tell me how you did it please :)

I'm having a lot of trouble doing it xP

Please make a nice tutorila for a newbie like me :p

I'm getting this mistake right now:

So in this first picture you can see the first window error.

[​IMG]

This second one I'm worried about, it says that vb kernel is not loaded.

[​IMG]

I do what the windows say's me to do, and I get another error:
    [​IMG]

What is the solution ? Please help :p

tonecas, Dec 1, 2008
Ask a Question