Thunar forgets NAS box settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TrophyJem, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TrophyJem

TrophyJem

I'm just getting to grips with my new Aspire One.

I've followed the "Mount your NAS box" from the 10 tweaks for the Aspire One http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/page4.html

Right-click on the empty space next to the new folder and select 'Open Terminal here' - this is another way of accessing the command line. Type sudo mount -t cifs //[fileshare IP address]/[fileshare name] NetFolder, filling in the IP address and name with the those of your server or shared folder, minus the square brackets. Hit Enter, and the AA1 may ask you for a username and/or password - these are the magic words that apply to the shared folder not to the AA1.

It works great, but every time I shut the Aspire One down it forgets the settings and I have to re-type the above line into the terminal.

Is there anyway I can get Thunar to remember these settings?
    I've noticed that it also forgets shortcuts I have added to the left bar.

TrophyJem, Oct 22, 2008
  2. TrophyJem

TrophyJem

Any ides on this guys, as it still bugs me!!!

TrophyJem, Feb 4, 2009
  3. TrophyJem

GlenMH

It is not ideal - is it? There are methods on this board of running a script automatically, time delayed from boot up to allow the network manager to do its stuff.

That was a bit complex for me so what I have done is put the relevant commands on to the advanced menu using settings>menu editor. You can also add your username and pasword in to the command so you don't need to type that either...

This means that I just need to wait for wireless to connect then right click and select "mount share1" to access my NAS.

Glen

GlenMH, Feb 5, 2009
  4. TrophyJem

TrophyJem

That's an idea.
    I'll try that.
    Thanks!

TrophyJem, Feb 5, 2009
  5. TrophyJem

ddalley

I tried mounting the NAS box (the target name = NASbox, not Netfolder) through the terminal as suggested above, but it returns this error:

mount error: can not change directory into mount target NASbox

A working example may help this visual male.

I also did not get asked for my name, but I was asked for a password, so I am not sure how this was handled. When I entered a password, it didn't work.

Also, how does Linux's terminal deal with spaces in directory names?

ddalley, Feb 17, 2009
  6. TrophyJem

GlenMH

Not well, I'm afraid!
    Here is my mount script:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o username=username,password=password //192.168.123.101/qmultimedia /mnt/home/NetworkMultimedia

I hope this helps

Glen

GlenMH, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question