Things just keep deleting

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by cheekymunkee, Jul 8, 2016.

1. cheekymunkee

something back

Good to know the outcome. Thanks for the reply.

The CMOS batteries only last approx 6 years.

I am sure the forum would have found an answer in the end.

something back, Jul 16, 2016
  2. cheekymunkee

IBMPC8088

That is odd, considering the CMOS battery only keeps settings for the BIOS and the time and date stamp on a desktop or a laptop motherboard. It has no bearing on the operating system you run over the hardware, or any other aspect of it...so that shouldn't have affected it whatsoever. Very odd.

I was going to say that perhaps the keyboard and touchpad had a short in it that was combining the simulation of a left-click to select and a keyboard delete button or shift+del, that could be possible also (but you would be seeing the notification for that briefly unless pressing the space bar or the 'y' key too quickly to where it isn't seen before deleting it).

Considering that...well...I would get a new touchpad and keyboard for it and if it persisted, a new motherboard for good measure to make sure there weren't any electrical shorts anywhere else. if I were one of the everyday type of users, I would just get a new laptop at that point because it would be a liability to try and use a laptop for personal or business use where anything saved would constantly be at risk for deletion without user notifaction of it.

IBMPC8088, Jul 19, 2016
Ask a Question