There's the UPS guy!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by osdude, Jul 23, 2008.

1. osdude

osdude

The UPS guy has made his loop onto the island. On board the truck, according to tracking, are my AA1, a 1GB stick of Ram, a bluetooth dongle, notebook mouse, 8GB USB pendrive and a 16GB SDHC card....

It usually takes UPS 3 hours to finish the loop, which ends at my house, so I've got another 2.5 hours to wait!

I am resisting the urge to chase him down on the bike and ask for my boxes. I can see how that would end up with me getting pepper sprayed, tazed, arrested and spending the night at the City's B&B.

wife: "you're acting like it's Christmas".
    me: "No, for Christmas, I got a washable air filter for the house, a lawn mower and crock pot. This is WAY better than Christmas"!

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  2. osdude

Sid

Ohhhh, I can feel the tension.........

I will be interested in seeing what the bluetooth dongle will do. What model is it? I have been looking at the micro usb BT units in the UK

My 8gb pendrive was purchased today, and tomorrow a 16gb SD is on my shopping list, unless I can find a 32gb SDHC for less than £90.

Ram - later next week I think - I think I read somewhere that Acer may not kill the guarantee, if I open the case (carefully).

Has the man/woman in brown arrived yet?

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  3. osdude

osdude

Not arrived yet.... about another 2 hours.

cirago BTA-3210 USB 2.0 Micro V2.0+EDR Bluetooth Dongle $16 USD it's tiny. Reviews gave it good marks, except for the flashing blue led, which I imagine, a piece of electrical tape will fix :D

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  4. osdude

Sid

I like the comment about the BT dongle at Newegg:
    "I had to take black Sharpie to one of them"

So do you expect that Linpus will play fair with the BT dongle?

Can I ask what ram did you order?

thanks

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  5. osdude

osdude

I hope it plays along with it, but I don't know for sure.

Here's the RAM
    PNY Optima 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model MN1024SD2-533

I've heard a few people say the RAM they have didn't work, so I cross my fingers and hope this will work. If not, I will order a stick someone posted in the other threads.

UPS guy is still not here and should have made the loop by now. I've been sitting outside on the porch waiting... trying to be patient. My dog is spazzing, because he knows I'm revved up and I'm always the calm one :D

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  6. osdude

Evidence

oooooooooooooh I know this tension....just asked my girlfriend how exited I've been while waiting for my AAO.
    Unfortunenately I had to learn for university when my AAO was delivered....anyhow i think i've passed the exam..and got a working AAO...great *THUMBS UP* ;)

Evidence, Jul 23, 2008
  7. osdude

Sid

I eargerly watch this space,

C'MON UPS, get yer arris in gear !!

Err, apologies it is a local term :)

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  8. osdude

osdude

[attachment=0:u5jcrq3l]ohyes.jpg[/attachment:u5jcrq3l]

Wheeeeeee!!!

Here's the man of the hour!!

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  9. osdude

osdude

posting from my AA1.

I've never used a subnotebook, but this thing is very light weight! It's also a little smaller than I thought from the pics and videos. Typing isn't bad at all, but will take a little getting use to.

The screen is very bright. I'm outside and can see no problem at all, granted it is almost 6PM!

WiFi reception is really good, but my other laptop had an Atheros and I think maybe they just make good WiFi.

The touchpad is very sensitive and I'm happy that is allows 'touch click' which means I don't have to use the buttons :D

I'm off to play with the BT, USB and SDHC....

Will report back soon!

And yes, I did give the UPS driver a Dos XX, but in case anyone from UPS is reading, he didn't take it :(

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  10. osdude

Sid

I bet he wondered what you had been drinking to be so stoked !!

Is it open yet?
    online?
    posted from it yet??

Fit the ram later dude, c'mon.
    Is the BT working?

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  11. osdude

osdude

BT is not in the box :(

damnit!

I am posting from the lil' comp right now. Oh it's really nice!!

Oh and there's no fan noise at all. I hold my ear to the port and I can hear air moving, but no fan noise.

I was a little worried about the SSD being slow, but with the installed OS, this thing runs pretty good with FF3 and email. Right now, I have FF, Open Office, Tetris and email open and there's nothing slow about it and I haven't added the additional ram yet.

Adjusting the touchpad made navigating much easier too!

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  12. osdude

Sid

Unless you downloaded it, that FF3 will be FF2.

No BT !!! ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  13. osdude

osdude

ooops! it is FF2 - sorry. FF3 coming soon!

osdude, Jul 23, 2008
  14. osdude

jeromlenz

Hehe, coool! :mrgreen:
    Welcome to the club!

It's also great to think it's drawing so little power!
    (Atom 5W,
    with screen overall max. 19V*1,6A=30W(AC adapter)
    but I think it's around 20W.)
    [<< Think Green!]

jeromlenz, Jul 23, 2008
  15. osdude

Sid

sheesh, three people conversing with less than 100watts :roll:

Sid, Jul 23, 2008
  16. osdude

jeromlenz

Hehe, LOL!!!
    Yeah that's true, well not considering the network hardware Watts overhead to converse from different parts of the US! :p
    (And gazoline for the delivery of our A1 from NewEgg...)
    Ok, I'll chill out now and get another beer. Cheers!!

jeromlenz, Jul 24, 2008
  17. osdude

Sid

I am happy due to the weight reduction, getting rid of the leadtop was a great move :mrgreen:

Sid, Jul 24, 2008
  18. osdude

lala

Congrats and hows the build i hope its strong and not like the wind where if u put it on ur lap the screen tilts back

lala, Jul 24, 2008
  19. osdude

Sid

So osdude, any more updates?

Sid, Jul 24, 2008
  20. osdude

osdude

I've added the 1GB of RAM.
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=367

It was way easier than I thought it was going to be. If you're worried about upgrading the RAM - don't worry. I was terrified and now I don't know why I was worried.

The finish on the white model is really bright in the sun - really bright. It also shows fingerprints, but not too bad.

The touchpad "grabs" your finger. It's the same ultra smooth plastic and I wish the plastic touchpad were a little more like most touch pads. I've got 800 grit sandpaper and I'm really considering taking the sandpaper to the touch pad area in hopes that it will have a better "feel".

The battery lasts a long time. I used it at the beach today and the display was plenty bright enough, even in direct light. Girls LOVE IT, "it's so cute, can I hold it". Pearl white is a girly color and I would have rather had the blue, but I didn't have the patience to wait till Aug, 15th.

The little bag it comes with is a waste, at least to me. The bag is really tight on the unit, so you can put nothing else with it. My old laptop case is way to big. I think a courier bag would be good, but I haven't found something I like yet.

Did I mention how small it is? I mean, it looks small in the pictures, but once you hold it, you really get a feel for how small it really is. This is NOT a negative in my book at all! It does take a little getting use to, but my main computer has a 22 inch monitor, so it's really a big difference going from one to the other.

Overall, I LOVE IT!!! Yes, I really do. I know I'm never going to put XP or Vista on it, so I love it for what it is. If you want XP or Vista on it, you're probably not going to be happy with the stock SSD peformance. But I'm using it for email and web applications and I'm very pleased with how it performs and how protable it is. I love that there is no spinning drive and that's the main reason I got it. I may upgrade to a CF drive at a later date, but for now, I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters. (Southern expression)

osdude, Jul 25, 2008
Ask a Question