There's a strong possibility that AVAST will buy AVG

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by something back, Jul 7, 2016.

1. something back

something back

something back, Jul 7, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. something back

vinaya

Even thought, I am using Kspersky at the moment, I have used AVAST as well as AVG in the past. I was not aware that AVG was on sale and AVAST is offering to buy AVG. Buy the way I have a question in my mind. Is this just a selling of thee product or the entire company?

vinaya, Jul 8, 2016
  3. something back

Vash

That's surprising. I always thought AVG is more popular and a bigger company than Avast. I have used both in the past too. Free versions. They were ok as free anti-virus software, but to be honest the #1 thing about not getting virus or other weird stuff is how careful you are when you go online. No surfing of questionable web sites, or downloading potential dangerous files, or open attachment from random people you do not even know. It should block 99% of the viruses you can possibility get.

At the moment, I am also a paid customer of Kaspersky. It is the best AV in term of detection.

If the news is true, then I hope the sale does not get through. Even though it might not affect me directly, I would like to see more competition. It is good for us consumers.

Vash, Jul 8, 2016
    IcyBC and something back like this.
  4. something back

something back

Yes so did I

something back, Jul 8, 2016
  5. something back

Corzhens

When the Symantec anti virus expired in our home desktop, it wouldn't upgrade the virus list starting January 2015. Since we don't want to buy a license, we installed an AVG. It was okay except for the involuntary upgrading. The anti-virus software would update the program and the virus list without our permission. It's doing that even if the setting for auto update was turned off. My husband got fed up with the frequent updating which eats up memory and markedly slows down the computer. Now we have Avast and it looks fine regarding the updating. Well, if Avast would buy AVG then I hope the services would further improve.

Corzhens, Jul 10, 2016
  6. something back

IcyBC

Oh and I thought AVG is a bigger company and has been around way before Avast! That is an interesting turns about!

IcyBC, Jul 10, 2016
  7. something back

SirJoe

Avast has a problem in that it tends to slow down your system. I had Avast installed on my computer and had to change to AVG because my computer became so slow it was nearly unusable.

SirJoe, Jul 10, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  8. something back

nytegeek

nytegeek, Jul 10, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. something back

IBMPC8088

Yeah, AVG hasn't been much of a protection system and more bloatware than anything these past few years. Avast is resource-hungry too, even though slightly more transparent. Hopefully when Avast buys AVG, they'll put the best of their team together to make a new product from the best of each to leave out the worst of the former releases. Of course, it could get more bloated and worse than it is today...but lets hope not lol

IBMPC8088, Jul 10, 2016
    something back likes this.
  10. something back

obliviousme

I didn't know this but this is interesting. I was under the impression that AVG is more powerful and superior than Avast but i guess i was wrong. I use neither of these antivirus so it doesn't affect me in any way but it's still good to know.

obliviousme, Jul 11, 2016
Ask a Question