There a way to revert to v0.3301? I'm in wifi hell

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hansbehrends, Dec 24, 2008.

1. hansbehrends

hansbehrends

Hi,

I have had this One 150 since mid September. I upgraded the pre-installed Windows XP to Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1)
    almost from the get-go. I have never had *ANY* problems with it, until ...
    until I decided to change the BIOS software version from 3301 to 3308. I had changed nothing else. Just flashed the bios with the newer version. The reason being, I am ordering a bigger battery, and a newer bios supposedly knows more batteries.
    From the moment I flashed the following started happening:
    - wireless connection to my router randomly drops, sometimes reconnects, at other times, atheros device vanishes!
    - when the atheros device vanishes, the wireless light stays lit. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, other times, a shutdown (power cycle) is necessary

My router is the Netgear WPN824 (G+ MIMO) version 3. There are four other computers in the house with different wifi chips and none have this kind of problem. Up until a few days ago (when I flashed the One from 3301 to 3305) this One 150 didn't either. I have been using the driver supplied by Windows Update (driver by Microsoft).

I have tried changing BIOS versions to no avail (without changing the wireless driver). Tried 3304, 3305, 3308, 3114. I haven't tried 3309 yet at all. Should I...?

After I had tried the different BIOS versions, I tried changing the wireless driver. So instead of the Microsoft driver, I installed .149 - the difference is that I can usually use the wireless for longer, but it breaks eventually.
    Is there a way to revert to BIOS v0.3301 ??? Why isn't there a roll-back feature like there is for Windows ???

hansbehrends, Dec 24, 2008
  2. hansbehrends

ronime

I doubt that the BIOS is responsible for the significant problems that you are experiencing. I suspect that you have a faulty wireless LAN card.

ronime, Dec 24, 2008
  3. hansbehrends

ccbrianf

Bios 3305/3309 in combination with driver 7.6.1.170 has been working fine for me. I suggest you try 3309 w/7.6.1.170 or 184. BTW, isn't reverting to bios 3301 just the same as updating?

ccbrianf, Dec 24, 2008
  4. hansbehrends

ccbrianf

Oops..., sorry. That was for XP. Maybe try 3309 w/7.6.1.162 for Vista.

ccbrianf, Dec 24, 2008
  5. hansbehrends

solman

since you mentioned you tried other bios versions, i'm guessing your subject line means you need a copy of 3301 and not asking how to revert to an older bios version. you should've made a backup of your bios before you tried updating it. :p

i made a backup of 3301 from my aao when i updated the bios, and you're welcome to try it if you want it. drop me a pm with your email addy.

solman, Dec 24, 2008
  6. hansbehrends

checksix

Just curious, how does one make a backup of the BIOS ?

checksix, Dec 24, 2008
  7. hansbehrends

ccbrianf

I would have guessed the same thing if it weren't still available via the easy to find link in this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2282

ccbrianf, Dec 24, 2008
  8. hansbehrends

hansbehrends

Put 3301 back in my One

Solman was so kind and sent me the original (MY original) - version 3301
    The last time I used the one, the wifi connection broke (while it continued working on other PCs in the house).
    NOW Back to 3301, wifi's been fine for three hours (that is a good sign). Knock on wood.

hansbehrends, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question