The ultimate liveUSB distro list

Discussion in 'Linux' started by edgecrush3r, Aug 22, 2008.

1. edgecrush3r

edgecrush3r

Hi guys,

I've beenn playing around loading various USB Linux distrobution and i thought it would be nice to maintain a full list of working distrobutions.

Here's what i got so far:
    • eeeBuntu (eeebuntu_nbr_1.0.iso): Installed using unetbootin. fails loading some gfx drivers, then crashes after xserver gets loaded (probarbly todo with the remix interface).[/*:m:fcz3txk2]
    • eeePCLinux (eeepclinuxos_pre2008beta3one.iso): Installed using unetBootIn. boots fine and works 100%.[/*:m:fcz3txk2]
    • gOS (gos-default-20080409-0020.iso): Installed using unetbootin. boots fine, Ethernet works, but no wifi out of the box.[/*:m:fcz3txk2]
    • MCNToronto (MCNLive-Toronto.iso): Installed using unetbootin. fails booting xserver[/*:m:fcz3txk2]
    • PCLinuxOS-miniMe (pclinuxos-minime-2008.iso): Installed using unetbootin. boots and works fine.[/*:m:fcz3txk2]
    • Ubuntu 8.04.1 hardy (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso): Installed using unetbootin. boots fine, no wifi out of the box[/*:m:fcz3txk2]

UPDATE:
    [*] MCNToronto (MCNLive-Toronto.iso): installed using batch files from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/02/06 ... e-toronto/. now boots and runs fine. No WiFi though.

Would be nice to see what you all have tried sofar ;)

Cheers,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Aug 22, 2008
  2. edgecrush3r

sideways

Fedora 10 Alpha LiveCD i686 works ok, wifi seems partially work (scans and detect access points) but I couldn't connect to a secure access point. Also it is a bit slow due to debugging features enabled in alpha release.

You transfer it to usb (1gb or more) using the livecd-iso-to-disk script on the LiveCD iso image

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/ ... leaseNotes

sideways, Aug 22, 2008
  3. edgecrush3r

Kallethen

I booted Puppy Linux 4.0 from external CD. Xorg didn't work out of the box but Xvesa did. SD card slots and wifi didn't work out of the box. But they have a thread on their user forum and they are trying very hard from what I see to get Puppy to work with the AA1. I think it'd be great if they do, it's a nice light distro that would be perfect on this little comp.

Kallethen, Aug 22, 2008
  4. edgecrush3r

simonwong

I have tried successfully with the following distros:

1. PCLinuxOS 2007: but works only at 1024x768(?), no wifi, and yet to try the web cam;
    2. PCLinuxOS Gnome 2008: has better display and no "substitution" resolution to distort the aspect ratio, no wifi, yet to try the web cam;
    3. Knoppix 5: (type knoppix screen= for desired resolution), no wifi, yet to try web cam,
    4. PC/OS: A Xbuntu variant with some BeOS look, no wifi, reports "driver present and hardware present" upon installation by ndiswrapper, to pursue blacklisting default ath_pci driver and obtain root rights to change configuration files. Ref: http://pcos08.freeforums.org/usb-flash- ... d-t62.html
    (instructions for usb flash at end of thread)

simonwong, Aug 23, 2008
  5. edgecrush3r

techtoyman

Tony,

I could really use some help here - I've tried Puppy Linux 4.05, PCLinuxOS-miniMe (same version as you and unetbootin), Pupeee - I can't get wireless to work for anything. I have the Aspire One with the 120GB HD and Windows. Can you offer any help in making the wireless work?

UPDATE:
    I was able to get the wireless working with eeePCLinuxOS - I'm not sure why the others won't work. I would really like to be able to get the Puppy Linux 4.1 working because of it running all in RAM - any help on this would still be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

techtoyman, Sep 3, 2008
  6. edgecrush3r

FireSoul

backtrack 3 boots only on one mode ( versa + KDE) i didn't spend a lot of time ( just tested my wirless ) but it worked well

FireSoul, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question