The original Age of Empires on WINE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by leicesterfan, May 9, 2009.

1. leicesterfan

leicesterfan

Hello. I got my 1gb ram Aspire One a few days ago and have been playing around with it a fair bit. I have had a bit of Linux experience from using it on my PS3.

Anyway, I have the original Age of Empires game in folder form, taken from an old CD. I managed to install Wine and get AOE running, but it is too jerky during gameplay. I didn't expect the Aspire to run much in terms of games, but thought it would cope with a very old game that worked fine on my ancient windows 95 computer many years ago!

I have looked at the basic wine config and can't see anything I can change. I have also been on the in-game options for AOE but there isn't anything I can really change to make it run better (no quality toggles etc)

So, am I stuck? Or can I get it to run better somehow?

Thank you. :cool:

leicesterfan, May 9, 2009
  2. leicesterfan

AngryCFModder

It must be a driver/wine problem. I run aoe2+conquers and roller coaster tycoon deluxe, both at max graphics, without any trouble. XP tho =)

AngryCFModder, May 10, 2009
  3. leicesterfan

leicesterfan

Thanks for the reply. The menu's work fine, just when the game starts it just stutters, would be even worse when the big battles start. Is there an alternative to Wine I could try? Installed playonlinux, but I can figure out how you can play through a folder, it just seems to want the CD's.

What would be the easiest thing to do if I couldn't work it, do you think. Install VM, try and dual boot, or just switch to XP....?

Thanks.

leicesterfan, May 10, 2009
  4. leicesterfan

AngryCFModder

I don't really know. I have very little experience with linux. There are always workarounds and unique solutions for every problem.. I just stick with XP.
    For me at least, the easiest way of dealing with linux is by not using it :p

AngryCFModder, May 11, 2009
  5. leicesterfan

haydoni

I've just bought my acer aspire one and plan on installing ubuntu netbook remix and doing EXACTLY that! wine runs AOE fine on my desktop-with half the ram- (after CD install) so I am suprised it wouldn't be happy on the one.

I hadn't realised you would just be able to copy the folders without installing from a CD image! I'll update you with my experience.

haydoni, May 15, 2009
  6. leicesterfan

haydoni

rain check on that, acerdirect haven't sent me my netbook yet.

haydoni, May 16, 2009
Ask a Question