The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by akaNeon, Mar 22, 2014.

1. akaNeon

akaNeon

Hello
    I've been looking for a competitor to the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and, well, I couldn't find one. I wonder how they managed to build a laptop with these specifications for that low of a price. I also did some research on the GPU and CPU and couldn't find any flaw's either. If I would buy a new Y500 and ship it from the US, it would cost me 650£. A comparable MacBook costs 2000£. A comparable Windows laptop costs 1000£.

If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is - So what justifies the price?

akaNeon, Mar 22, 2014
  2. akaNeon

gadgetised

I like the Lenovo tablets. They also have some pretty good hybrids. All expensive but worth the price.

gadgetised, Mar 23, 2014
  3. akaNeon

Baniclips

Lenovo has a pretty good reputation for quality. I think it's just a matter of parts becoming cheaper, and some of the components such as video cards get phased out quickly and replaced with new editions. The Lenovo Y500 is an older model and even the Lenovo Y510P will soon be outclassed by the upcoming new Geforce videocards (the 800 series, while current Lenovo models have the 700 series of video cards.) I think it's less about Lenovo cutting corners somewhere to cheapen costs and more about the competition seriously overpricing their wares. Sony and Apple laptops for example are fantastic-looking but overpriced for what they offer.

Baniclips, Mar 24, 2014
  4. akaNeon

something back

The online computer mag sites give this a good rating

something back, Mar 24, 2014
  5. akaNeon

kaymeis

Lenovo has cut a nice niche for themselves with their great designs.

kaymeis, Mar 28, 2014
Ask a Question