The Lenov Flex 2 14 now or a Mac later?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by BatmanLannister, Jul 5, 2015.

1. BatmanLannister

BatmanLannister

Hi all,

I'm new here, having finally lost my patience with all the different online reviews and advice so I figured it might help to get some specific answers to specific questions.

I'm currently writing this on a near 4-year old Sony Vaio laptop, which is beginning the slow crawl to its deathbed. A big issue I'm currently dealing with is my fan overheating. I was trying to watch a standard 3-minute youtube clip the other night and when my computer finally stopped freezing, I couldn't hear it over the sound of my fan going nuts. It's also very hot. I'm aware that my computer is a bit older now and this probably won't happen that much with a new one but it has become my biggest pet peeve.

I've been researching online reviews for ages (Best laptops for writers, best laptops for students, best brands, worst brands...) and time and time again, I get set to choose a laptop only to then see about twenty terrible reviews of it in succession. I've seen good things about Macs but they're out of my price range right now and saving for one means dealing with a dying laptop for another few months and then when I have that much money, I have a feeling I'll balk at handing it all away at once for a laptop (It'll probably be around Christmas when I have enough saved). I'm basically asking if I'd end up regretting it and if so, are there any other alternatives?

Bit more background:
    I usually use my laptops for standard stuff; writing essays and stories (which means several documents could be open at once), browsing the internet (so several tabs open at once) and watching youtube or netflix (I have a chromecast so I'd ideally like something compatible with that).

I'm not too bothered about webcams or learning how to work new operating systems. I can pick up those kinds of things quite quickly. I'm also not much of a gamer (the most advanced games I've ever played are those hidden object dealies and honestly, I can go without).

The frontrunner at the moment, if I decide the Mac is too expensive, is the Lenovo Flex 2 14 (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-lenovo-flex-2-14-inch-convertible-for-599/) which I've seen lots of mixed reviews about but generally seems like a good model for the price. Does anyone have any experience with this model they can hit me with? I've mainly heard arguments against it all the bloatware Lenovo installs and the keyboard and trackpad being terribly wonky. That being said, any laptop I've seen with exclusively better reviews run around the same as a Mac so you know, I'm guessing I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BatmanLannister, Jul 5, 2015
Ask a Question