The ideal laptop screen size and resolution for you?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Vash, May 17, 2016.

1. Vash

Vash

My first laptop, a Dell Vostro 1500 had a screen size at 15.4", but its resolution was only 1280x800 at max. At the time I actually thought it would be nice to have a even bigger screen, for example a 17". My opinion was based on the fact I took my laptop to LAN parties quite often. A gaming rig can be benefited from a bigger screen. Although later I gave it a second through since I heard someone said he regretted to get his 17" gaming laptop. It was too heavy, and he kept it on his desk all the time, so he'd rather get something smaller for portability or a desktop for his desk.

After my first laptop died, I got a Surface Pro 4 which has a screen size of 12.3", but its resolution is awesome at 2736x1824. Now I am already used to this 2-in-1 laptop/tablet. I do not feel the downsized screen is a disadvantage at all. Yeah, I guess the part "get used to" is quite important. :)

What do you think the ideal screen size and resolution should be for a laptop?

Vash, May 17, 2016
  2. Vash

IcyBC

I used to have the 15 inches laptop and I love it. Now, I am comfortable with my 13" one, and maybe the 12" too. As for resolution, I am not sure how to find out as I am very familiar with my MacBook. I don't have knowledge with graphic so it really doesn't matter much to me, as long as I can see beautiful colors :)

IcyBC, May 17, 2016
  3. Vash

sparkster

I have a Lenovo G50 with a 15.6" screen and it's pretty much the perfect size for me. Before that I was using a Lifebook which seems tiny in comparison. The Lenovo has great screen resolution too, up to 1366 x 768. Granted it's not full High Definition but it is HD and I'm quite impressed by the quality. It does the job perfectly for what I need it for. It also has an LED screen so the picture quality is there.

sparkster, May 17, 2016
  4. Vash

Corzhens

I'm not sure with the screen size of my laptop but it's a standard HP Elite. Hmm, maybe it's 13 inches or so. That screen size is one of the factors why my husband opted for a desktop for our home use. He was thinking of a laptop before but when talks veered to the screen size, that made him think twice. With a desktop, he can choose a screen size (he needs a larger screen for his video editing hobby) unlike with the fixed screen size of a laptop.

Corzhens, May 18, 2016
  5. Vash

Vash

@ Corzhens,
    You can check the model of your laptop, and just Google its screen size.
    I understand some work is needed to be done on larger screens. Heck, there are works must be done on specific sized/resolution screens, or even must be done on multi-screens.
    However, you can always hook up your laptop to a larger screen if there is the need to. As long as you make it so in the settings that the laptop can use a second monitor when it is closed.

You guys also need to know that I was a "the bigger the better" guy when it came to computer monitor. :p Back in the late 1990s, I used a 19" Trinitron monitor from IBM, and it cost me $620 USD. From 2008 or so onward, I hooked up my desktop to a 40" LCD TV. I can hook it to my laptop if I choose to.

I would still prefer bigger screen when it comes to gaming, but for ordinary works, I am totally comfortable with my current 12.3" screen. :)

Vash, May 18, 2016
Ask a Question